cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can't request BBC radio to play on another Home device (UK based)

AndrewConner
Community Member

This has been happening for months now but now I've moved in to a new house it's starting to get really frustrating. I remember it started happening about a year ago when there was some kind of change with BBC Sounds and numerous features stopped working

I have a number of 1st and 2nd gen Minis, an OG Google Home and a CCwGTV. When I ask a Mini (for example) "Play BBC radio 6 music" it will play on that speaker, as it should. But when I ask "Play BBC radio 6 music on x speaker" Google will instead start playing a random playlist from my YouTube Music library with the work "music" in it, i.e. Scottish Music. This also happens using Assistant on the phone.

Having moved in to a new property I had to reset all the devices anyway so everything has had a factory reset and is on the latest FW. I've tried with preview programme enabled and disabled for all devices, tried doing it to groups (purely speaker and speaker / CC hybrid) but I cannot make Assistant play any BBC radio station on another device.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

1 Recommended Answer

Ahh, I see it could be a software bug then possibly.

Have you tried instead of using the word without 'Music' in the voice prompt?

If I had to guess I agree with you, it's likely a software bug from what you explained to me? It may be worth seeing if we can feedback to google about that issue to get it resolved in a bug fix update.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

code_
Community Member

Hiya!

I may find a helpful article. It may be worth to train your devices to re-recognize your voice. To me the issue sounds the assistant is struggling to correctly pick up what you're saying. But you didn't have the issue post prior.

Voice match with google assistant 

HI

Thanks for the reply. As you say, I never had the issue prior so I don't think it's voice related. But also, Google Assistant can play a BBC radio channel on the speaker I ask for - or any YTM playlist on another speaker when I ask - so it know what I'm saying, and the history shows it understands what I'm  saying but has different responses:

Asking to play:
Said hey Google Play BBC Radio 6 music
here's BBC Radio 6 Music on The BBC…

Asking to play on another speaker:

OK, playing your YouTube Music playlist called Scottish Music on Bedroom speaker…

Because the radio station has the word "music" in it, Google Assistant seems to decide to pick a random playlist I have with the word "music" in and play it. Very frustrating and I know the obvious solution is "rename your playlists", but I'm using 50+ playlist names I've had for 20+ yrs so I'm not relearning all their names at my advanced age just so GA stops playing them randomly

Ahh, I see it could be a software bug then possibly.

Have you tried instead of using the word without 'Music' in the voice prompt?

If I had to guess I agree with you, it's likely a software bug from what you explained to me? It may be worth seeing if we can feedback to google about that issue to get it resolved in a bug fix update.

>Have you tried instead of using the word without 'Music' in the voice prompt?

It was that easy, thank you. Years ago they changed it so you had to say the full name or it wouldn't play. It seems they have changed that again at some point.