cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cookbook/Saved Recipes Gone?!

AbandonShip
Community Member

My Hub Max lives in my kitchen and despite the recent degrading experience google smart home

products have had recently, I’ve held on because i’ve spent hundreds of dollars on 8 units throughout my home.

But, the recent removal of cookbook/saved recipes is just ridiculous.  This was a GREAT feature for my frequent cooking. I could pull up favorite recipes and google would display them in large print, step by step.  

Now, it’s directing me to use the browser? Which ALWAYS crashes by the way. So now, this is basically a feature that’s gone. 

Im upset that Google is REMOVING features instead of improving or at least maintaining.  

This is shameful practice for those of us that invested in their smart home products. I guess I’ll be moving to alexa!

Google! Bring back cookbook/saved recipes!!!

2 Recommended AnswerS

ZadiusC
Community Member

Just read that they actually removed 17 features after laying off 12,000 employees last year. I'm a software developer, so I'm betting these features have bugs and they have no one to fix them now.

Here's the list of removed features if anyone wants to read what else they hacked off, https://support.google.com/assistant/answer/13971691?hl=en

View Recommended Answer in original post

YES .. you can send back feedback on your assistant.. please everyone send feedback regarding the removal of the saved cookbook feature 

To give feedback about Google Assistant, say “Hey Google, send feedback,” and then share your comments. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

110 REPLIES 110

Robstg
Community Member

Me - "Hey google, call daughter's room"
Google - "I don't do that anymore, broadcast to the whole house and bug everyone, because the "intercom"  feature is no longer there. Your daughter can do the same to reply to you. See? Easy!"
Me - "hey google, show me my recipe for apple pie"
Google - "I don't do that anymore, go to your computer and look there... From there, memorize the recipe and come back to the kitchen to cook. See? Easy!" 

Me - "Hey Google, can i edit my routines on the computer, when it would be more comfortable to type, and see the whole process on one screen?"

Google - "No. What? Are you crazy? You obviously would need to install "home" on your mobile device, and use this screen to click and fat finger type your elaborate routines. Oh, and don't forget to scroll down because it's not always obvious where the save button is."

-------------

I wanted to go all google with the home automation. i am at about 85% complete. I have 18 devices connected to the "Home" network. This includes a Washer and Dryer (I bought specifically because they did connect to Google) Lutron lighting, Nest Security cams and Nest "Hello" doorbell.  I am now wondering if I should just quit investing in this solution, as I see my most loved features going by the way side. All at DOUBLE the yearly subscription fee from last year!!! 

What should I do? 😞

That sounds AWFUL!! I've had a similar experience.  I'm hoping with the event coming in May they are introducing something new that will replace these things but, doubt it!  My suggestion, write them a feedback note.  If we stay silent, they will just continue.  Even a loud minority can move the needle to protect our investments into their home products!

Jrich77
Community Member

So annoyed this was the best thing about the google.

I agree, please send them a feedback note asking for it back! 

Michael0
Community Member

I too have the Google hub Max in the kitchen just for recipes. And my browser always crashes now as well. I also enjoyed playing my audiobooks through the Chrome speakers and hubs. But not anymore. Yes I know I can stream it from my phone but that is not the reason I purchased the devices. Sad to see Google take away some of the best features of the devices.

Sparrow123
Community Member

Good to join in this group and express my anger at losing my cook cook and recipes I have worked with for years now.  They were amazing convenient features.  I am calling Google to tell them this is a big deal ! Bang it was gone.  Not a great way to handle.  Google are you reading this ?????

Lizzy808
Community Member

I so agree .. I’ve been using this for years and had a great collection I had saved to cook from . I’m truly saddened and even more disappointed in Google to completely throw this at us. 

SIdedog36
Community Member

Google is a horrible company.  They couldn't care less what we think.  I have invested substantial money in this hardware, just to be treated like this.  I hope they burn in hell.

PatriciaS
Community Member

oh, I agree with everything that you have said up above and more point I just tried to call Google and got absolutely no one. I thought they were going to hook me up with an agent, but they said that they had no agents available, but they would soon and thank you and have a good day. It was absolutely no help at all! What in the world is wrong with Google!! 

Alexa here I come!

Just an update. I went ahead and purchased the echo show 10. It has features that I want and it will also look up to my ring doorbell. Plus, I’ll be having a “my cookbook” again. My Google Ness will just go into the bedroom and just be a very expensive alarm clock!

Robstg
Community Member

Sorry to hear about your experience as well... I am just going to leave you with this thought though... If you have a power or internet outage at the time you are supposed to wake up, you will not have the expensive alarm clock wake you. This has been my experience with my bedroom "Hub".  I now keep my alarms on my cell phone.  Just an FYI for ya!

Yeah I pulled out my old Echo show 7 I need to upgrade but this makes me so mad they did this. 

BecsW
Community Member

OM So upset!  I use the home device for shopping and recipes, I have no backup of everything that was in my cookbook.  I am furious!  Ridiculous decisions that now make my device unnecessary 😞

Jrich77
Community Member

I found my recipes on my google search on the phone in the saved items. But still annoyed I can't use them on my google home.

ken0arto
Community Member

explain this please

Jrich77
Community Member

I have a samsung when I open my google app on the right bottom. Corner are my saved pages. That's were I found my recipes.

This would be so great.  I can't seem to find where you mean. On my Samsung phone ?

Google app at the bottom right on the phone ?   

It would be incredible to get my recipes back.  Appreciate a little more info

so I can find them.

harusam3
Community Member

For me, they were listed in a collection called Cookbook when going to google.com/saved

I found them !!!  Thank you for this.  I just killed so many trees printing off my favs in case they cancel this feature too !  LOL.

Doing a happy dance . Thank you everyone.  Lets keep trying to get the digital voice control version back though.  It seems to archaic to print stuff now. 

Michael_
Community Member

I agree.

I'm very frustrated about this. The ability to view recipes step by step on the Nest Hub in the kitchen was a reason for me to set up the device in the kitchen. Google, please re-enable this feature. I'm really upset.

That is pretty much what everyone is saying. I am selling mine to get money off this pos

AbandonShip
Community Member

Everyone can send google feedback via this website, or even by speaking it to your smart devices. "Hey Google, send feedback" and let your request be heard! 😎 Let's get this feature back!!

Will do this , for sure .... and maybe everyday ! If possible,  what is the matter with them ? 

It will be redundant very soon in THIS home , 

adjf
Community Member

Totally agree, the cookbook had some flaws but it was much easier than casting a recipe from my lap top

Rusty_steel
Community Member

It's ridiculous, all the good features are going? My display is in the kitchen where I cook! And the cookbook option is gone? 

Well so is Google... Out with useless tech and get something that will help me in life not stress me out. Amazon you win...Alexa here I come. Hey Google...your useless.

recipes
Community Member

I cannot agree more.  I recommended the Hub to so many people because of this feature.

Cmondi
Community Member

I am with you Lizzy. I  am beyond frustrated with this loss of features. In addition, when I go to my saved browser items there’s not a single recipe there. There are many functions on the nest hub that I really enjoyed and made it worthwhile now it seems like it’s just a heap of junk sitting on my countertop. If you’re paying attention, please do better bring our beloved features back. 

Loretta5ue
Community Member

I am beyond upset this is gone. Has anyone figured out a work around? My screen is too small to just use the website for a recipe. Is there an app that has recipes? I vaguely recall my Facebook Portal having something that I could cook with.

sarahzechmomma
Community Member

Now I don’t even know how to add recipes to this saved cookbook tab on Google, since I can no longer use my Google Home for recipes. What do I do now?!

bunnywabbitwove
Community Member

Bring back the cookbook feature, I am beyond livid. Basically, the only reason I bought the thing.

Same. And I threw out my physical cookbooks because I’ve loved using it for years.

gief
Community Member

I'm abandoning with you! My google home(s) are now useless. I use the one in the kitchen for cookbook and to listen  to music while cooking. Now it's just countertop clutter. This is very unfortunate because it's increasing my negative feelings about Google as a whole. I have invested in multiple google home products that I guess Google isn't standing behind. What's next. I will use the feedback feature before unplugging.

Vixen_vg22
Community Member

100% agree with you . 

Absolute joke isn't it 

Anyone understand the message about save them ? 

I didn't mk sense of it . 

About 4 or 5 times I had to re open the recipe I was reading through the browser as it just disappeared & went back to home hub main screen. 

RIDICULOUS 

Nahuku
Community Member

Is there any alternative app now that the cookbook is gone from Google hub. I'm willing to switch my smart home to Amazon or Siri

martytess
Community Member

I have had so many online services come and go and each time it pissed me off. Dont expect any or much better from Amazon or Siri. 

Do it the rock solid way, save each recepie as a doc in a folder in Drive...

Sparrow123
Community Member

ave not

Sparrow123
Community Member

I have not found anything comparable or better that what we had with the Google recipe option.  

It is beyond frustrating and I dont have time right now to search for anything but will keep listening here !

predicaments
Community Member

This is absolute insanity. I cannot believe REMOVING features like this was even a thing!!

recipeonnesthub
Community Member

I want my money back wtf ??? I bought a nest hub just for recipe in my kitchen .. its useless now