cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong IP assignation

Alhasnim82
Community Member

Hi,

I have 2 pixel 6 mobiles and my nest wifi is connected to a fiber internet modem router. The router IP range is 192.168.1.xxx and the nest wifi IP range is 192.168.86.xxx. When I connect the 2 pixel 6 mobiles one will get an IP from nest wifi while the other from the router. This keeps changing between the two mobiles with only one gets the nest wifi IP. I am not able to cast or print from the mobile to that has IP from the router. Can you please help.

8 REPLIES 8

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @Alhasnim82 

Did you set up your Nest WiFi system to use the same network name (SSID) and password as your "outer" router? If so, some WiFi devices may be connecting to the "inner" network and some connecting to the "outer' network. Keep in mind that your Nest WiFi Router is just that – a router + firewall that creates a new inner network. It should be the only thing connected to the outer network (via Ethernet through its WAN – "globe" – port), and if the outer network includes WiFi, it should either be disabled or set to a different SSID than the inner network.

Alhasnim82
Community Member

The router wifi is disabled and nest wifi is connected to the router by wire.

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Ok, then I suspect it's connected to the wrong port on the Nest WiFi Router unit or you have some other device bridging between the inner and outer networks. The Nest WiFi Router should be the only thing directly connected to your outer router, and it should be the WAN port, not the LAN port on the Nest WiFi Router unit.

Edit to add: ...and if you reconnect it, you may need to restart some client devices so they get proper IP address and default route configurations.

Alhasnim82
Community Member

Michael,

I did restart both router and nest wifi but it seems this is only happening with 2 pixel mobiles. The first one to connect will get the correct IP from nest wifi while the second will get the router IP. This is not happening with the iphone or any other devices.

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Can you still check that the Nest WiFi Router is the only thing connected to your outer router? Also that it's through the WAN port?

Alhasnim82
Community Member

I found two things. First an old IP door bell that may had a loop between the router and a small switch, I removed all of these devices. I also found that I am connecting one of the nest wifi AP to the same switch. I did remove this connection as well. Now it seems this issue is gone and both Pixel 6 mobiles are getting correct IP from nest wifi. I need to connect the second AP using wire as it cannot reach the other APs . I thinking to have on wire from router to the switch and then 2 wires from the switch with one to the main AP and another to the isolated AP. What do you think?

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

The Nest WiFi Router unit is just that – a router. It creates a new inner network, and all of the WiFi devices – secondary access points and clients – need to be connected to that inner network. The Nest WiFi Router has a LAN Ethernet port you can connect a switch to, and from there you can connect any wired devices you need to, including any secondary Google/Nest WiFi access points that support Ethernet. In short, the Nest WiFi Router unit's WAN Ethernet port should be the only thing connected to your "outer" network. Apologies if that is what you are proposing, but I just wanted to be 100% clear.

modem/router <-> Nest WiFi Router <-> Ethernet switch <-> wired devices, including Google WiFi or Nest WiFi Router units

Alhasnim82
Community Member

Michael,

Very clear now thanks a lot.