cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest dropped off router over night - can’t reconnect

NigelT
Community Member

Nest thermostat dropped off the Wi-Fi over night (EE), tried every reset and connecting via hot spot, gives error can’t see wifi - network May be hidden or too far away - nothing moved, everything else fine on the router. Have followed all trouble shooting et etc! Can they fail? 

1 Recommended Answer

I have just found your post about the faulty thermostat, after trying to find information on NigelT issues.

I assume you are in the UK? Assuming you are......... Are you aware your installer/retailer are responsible for your repair/replacement? Yes Google offer a 2 year warranty, but in the UK your installer/retailer is responsible for about 5 years!!!  Heard anything about Consumer Law?

I bleat on about this time and time again on here, and STILL people are sending their units back to Google, but I don't know why.

Who installed and supplied your unit, not a name but installer/retailer??

View Recommended Answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RoyBucks
Community Member

Exact same thing has happened to us. Help required!

NigelT
Community Member

After trying everything I rang the support line, after a few details I gave them they said I was going to be sent a replacement, the unit was just over a year old! I asked if this was common - the failure to connect to any Wi-Fi and hot spot and the chap said yes! Anyway unit boxed up and on way back to Poland via DHL. Once they revive they said replacement will sent. Note says may not be a new unit! So supprised just how quick they id ed issue and seems to be more common. I was lucky unit in warranty - 2 years in UK!

RoyBucks
Community Member

Just sent them an email so I'll see what response I get but not very keen on removing and sending them the existing unit without having a replacement first as I then have no means of controlling hot water in the house. We only purchased/installed it 9 months ago! Given the number of other people who seem to be having this issue I'm starting to regret my choice.

NigelT
Community Member

@RoyBucks wrote:

Just sent them an email so I'll see what response I get but not very keen on removing and sending them the existing unit without having a replacement first as I then have no means of controlling hot water in the house. We only purchased/installed it 9 months ago! Given the number of other people who seem to be having this issue I'm starting to regret my choice.

They do offer another option -I think express, where they dispatch first after you in effect give  payment details so they can charge you for a new unit if you don’t return in a time frame. In our case it wasn’t urgent so we can manage without it for a few days until we get a new one. Tbh I just raised a request for a call back which happened straight away and impressed how easy it seemed (touch wood) to get a replacement, seems the if you have already done the checks they can approve replacement unit. Or there is an issue with a batch and they id from the serial number. As you say not that impressed given how old unit is and the wasted time trying to get unit back on the Wi-Fi, about 3 hours for me before I checked on line issues. Good luck 

I have just found your post about the faulty thermostat, after trying to find information on NigelT issues.

I assume you are in the UK? Assuming you are......... Are you aware your installer/retailer are responsible for your repair/replacement? Yes Google offer a 2 year warranty, but in the UK your installer/retailer is responsible for about 5 years!!!  Heard anything about Consumer Law?

I bleat on about this time and time again on here, and STILL people are sending their units back to Google, but I don't know why.

Who installed and supplied your unit, not a name but installer/retailer??

thanks yes Uk and installed by Boxt 

RoyBucks
Community Member

Yes I'm in the UK and it was installed by a local tradesman but he was installing a unit that we had purchased ourselves via Amazon.

Your unit is a little more complicated as Amazon are the responsible seller, and they have to replace/repair your unit. The issue you have is someone fitted the unit, and that obviously came at a cost. Now, IF you think swapping a Heat Link over and clicking a display back onto the wall is in your capabilities, just TELL Amazon you have a faulty unit, and I want a replacement. By the way, you cannot have a refund, as it's past 30 days.

They have to replace/repair the unit as THEY are the seller.

Look up 2015 consumer law, and this covers you for EVERYTHING you buy in the UK. Consumer law covers you for about 5 years depending on the value of the item. Look it up, check out yourself.

Job Done!