Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble with Speaker groups? Read this first

kelanfromgoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for continuing to notify us of the reliability issues you’re facing with your Speaker groups. I escalated these issues internally and the team is actively investigating a resolution. If you’re able, all feedback is appreciated! Please keep it coming by saying “OK Google, Send Feedback." Providing details, such as mentioning that the issue is with the "speaker group," is especially helpful.  As always, we appreciate your feedback and are working hard to alleviate the issues. 

Thank you for the patience,
Kelan

26 REPLIES 26

pontus
Community Member

I have issues with my speakers but google doesnt say anything. I havent found a thread about this. 

When i reset all the speakers and then make a new speaker group it works. 

Then after a hour it stops. Only one speaker plays the music while the rest makes a beep noice every 30-60 sec. 

I have 2 nest audio 

1 hk one

1 hk citation 200

1 hk citation soundbar. 

Mishap
Community Member

Hi, I have a stand alone 'smart' speaker with Chromecast bulit in and two Chromecast devices, in three rooms. I created various audio groups to cater for different configurations of two or three rooms. 

The device that is closest to the router regularly drops off when cast to its group (regardless whether it is a two-device group or a three-device group). I swapped the devices around, but the issue persists with the location and not the device. 

The drop-outs are random, occuring up to one hour apart, but then also within 5 minutes from one another. It is not related to other traffic, i.e. it happens when the rest of the network is quiet with traffic. However, as the location that drops out is connected to the main HiFi in the house, when it drops out it creates a huge sound hole, very disturbing. 

I raised this as an issue with my broadband provider. They ran tests etc and found no issue with the internet connectivity (as expected). For now, they did not indicate that there may be an issue with the router itself. 

I see in various places that there are even worse issues with casting audio to Chromecast groups and wonder what, if anything, is being done by Google to diagnose those and fix them. 

Thanks!

Krisz0r
Community Member

Mine worked for around 2 years nearly seamlessly when connected to a 2.4ghz bandwidth wifi network.

I haven't bought new speakers, but they're reasonably new. A Google home nest speaker. Probably 4 years old and a Sony at-h7000 Chromecast enabled sound bar.

I have updated to a wifi 6 capable router that combines 2.4ghz and 5ghz and in my opinion it's never worked well since. Even though it didn't effect any other devices in my home.

I've tried 3 different routers 

A netcomm

An Asus

A Netgear

All do the same thing.

• Speakers are visible in home
  • They play fine out of Spotify separately 
  • When I first hard reset them all I can create a group 
  • Then a day later one drops out of the group and the group disappears from home.
  • Then when I try to make the group again it's like it's still there in the cloud frozen with the speakers in it and it won't let me put the speakers back in a group again.

Resultant in I can't see the speaker group which I call "master" to play across all devices.

It's the only feature people use in Google home. Would be good to get it working again.

Krisz0r
Community Member

I sorted my problem out.

What I've found is that new routers try to combine the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bandwidths together under the same name. Technically they are bridged and for that reason it didn't compute to me that this would be the issue. By chance I've worked out what was happening.

The 5GHz bandwidth is a bit **bleep** and patchy and has a lower reception range from the router but provides higher throughput speed. The 2.4GHz bandwidth is stable and operates at a perfectly acceptable speed.

The router was leashing the 5GHz network to one device that was really close to the router and the 2.4GHz network to another device which was further away and wouldn't have the option of 5GHz.
Even though technically its all the same network, in effect it has been the reason I've had problems ever since I updated my router.

To understand how I got it so wrong, I just hard reset my router to see what the default settings are and they are, one SSID for both networks, you literally have to tick a box that says "seperate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks". So naturally you think that we're living in the future and the router will sort this out for you from now on... WRONG

Anyway, I renamed the 5ghz bandwidth to "blahblahblah5ghz" and left the 2ghz network as my original network name and everything is working seamlessly.

Such a simple thing that has gone on for months and took 10 minutes to fix once I'd worked out.

Good luck!

I think this is not an acceptable solution for most users. Switching off or separating the 5 GHz network by assigning different SSIDs for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks is not state of the art and negates all the advantages of this technology.
Band steering, crossband repeating and seamless roaming can therefore no longer be used. This is like wifi in 2010!

Yeah don't get me wrong its pretty pathetic.
Google need to do so much work on the speaker groups part of the google home.
But at least I worked out why my stuff wasn't working.
It was literally doing my head in.

Yes you are right. In any case, this doesn't seem to be a problem with Sonos and Alexa products.

Mishap
Community Member

An update from my side...

During my marathon 'support' session with my provider, they said that something is wrong with the radius (server?) and that they will do a hard reset (factory settings) of my router. Luckily I kept the original SSID and pwd so this reset was not a major issue for me.

I have to say that dropouts stopped after that... but ... A week later they were back again.

So, I did another factory reset yesterday and after that I did not experience any dropouts for the rest of the day. 

I will see what happens next weekend (when I may have time to tinker).

I do not want to jump to conclusions, but if this fix may help in other routers, then there's something wrong with a way that group casting works (clogs routing tables?). If it only helps me (and BT/EE hubs) then it is the hub that is wrong (by design?) because my previous generation hub worked absolutely fine. 

On the old hub I could select which device connects to which WiFi band. On this one, it seems it's a random process. Of course I could switch the 5GHz band off, but that defeats the objective of having a modern router 

Krisz0r
Community Member

This 100percent sounds like you're on the right track. Thanks for the feedback 👍👍

I'm going to try a heap more stuff over the next weekend and see if I can fix it.

I was reading on Reddit you can try loading an old version of Google home (apparently 1.9apk) through an emulator and deleting the speaker group, which as we know disappears for some reason but it still actually there in the cloud 🙄

It's making me so sad that it's not working haha

Mishap
Community Member

Hi, Thanks for that. I think your issues with groups being messed up is probably something to do with Google Home. I had something similar but the situation stabilised once I removed all devices and added them back in and created new groups. 

The audio drop-outs are a separate issue, I have a feeling. 

Not nice that the only reason why people collect multiple Chromecasts is to create and cast to groups and yet it does not work reliably. It seems to me that I'd be better off deploying cables around the place instead of suffering the Google's WiFi incompetences. 

Mishap
Community Member

As feared, the dropouts returned. This time I reset the router (again) and switched the 5GHz WiFi band off. So all devices were then on the single band.

My "home" got mightily messed up with that. I had to reboot all Chromecast and audio cast devices and reassemble the groups.

Unfortunately the dropouts returned within a couple of hours of streaming.

Krisz0r
Community Member

Put all your stuff on the 2.4ghz band and don't use the 5ghz band at all.

It sounds a lot like you have the same issue I had.

h20534
Community Member

I have noticed that having  Nest Hub v2 in any speaker group seems to give it a lot of issues. There is a decent chance that if I cast music to a speaker group that includes my Nest Hub v2, every speaker other than the Nest Hub v2 will cast fine. I usually cast music via the Spotify app running on an iPhone 15 Pro Max, but I remember this happening last summer when I had a Pixel 7 Pro also.

Krisz0r
Community Member

Its definitely annoying!

I'm at a friends place who's an apple person and their speaker groups are working perfectly on Google home where as me with my Google products and Google Pixel phone is having major problems.

We both have the exact same router 🥴

RussdaFuss
Community Member

I've posted a couple too. My issue has been "escalated" multiple times too. I've recorded videos of the issue. Nothing has fixed it, and now gotten worse.

RussdaFuss
Community Member

Hello Kelan,
Is there anything new regarding troubleshooting music playback on speaker group? Is it already clear whether there will be an update in the foreseeable future that fixes the numerous errors and problems with playback on speaker groups and the problems with playback on Nest Hub devices?
Thank you for a brief update on the current situation!

Amishruss
Community Member

I have been having speaker group issues since last summer. "Higher level support" has been useless. And now my speakers, and only my two speakers, refuse to connect at all. I have lost faith in Google, after over 20 years of being a big Google supporter, jumping into Google beta services that launch, working with their app development for issues, and seeing what they have become and a complete LACK of any resolutions to many issues and consistently making the WORST decisions regarding products and services, I have zero faith that Google cares about their consumers anymore. These Nest speakers are essentially the final straw for me.

If you know how to change the settings in your router (which not everyone does) you could try my above solution.

I guarantee 99 percent of speaker group problems within Google home are googles **bleep**ty legacy models with no firmware updates whatsoever to keep up with newer wifi technology.

Very poor from them.

Nope. I have the networks separated with different names for 5ghz and 2.4ghz. 

flybob
Community Member

Sending feedback via voice does nothing. I've sent hundreds of error reports that way and not one issue has ever been corrected. No one monitors or listens to those reports. No one cares about fixing the many, many problems with Google assistant on Google home speakers. 

morf
Community Member

Good morning.

When I ask to Google Assistant using Nest Hub and/or Nest Mini and/or Google Home mini to play music using spotify on a group of device (where I have the 3 devices mentioned above + two chromecast audio) --> Google answers it has a problem and I can't have music on my speaker group.

If I use directly spotify app I can stream music on group of devices! So using spotify group of speakers work fine!!!

So to me the problem is not my WIFI/Router, or Spotify or single google devices...problem is Google Assistant!

Already done a reset of everything (all devices)...already deleted and recreated other group devices.

flybob
Community Member

The problem is on Google's server side. They know about it but don't care. 

morf
Community Member

It Is not possible. Google is a super IT companies...I can t believe they don t care about customers...

morf
Community Member

I have just one final question, considering that google assistant and audio spakers are having huge problems for 6-8 months: Is google able to fix it? Is there any roadmap?

I just need yes or no! If no I'm going to sell everything and pass to Alexa...

Thor9Stinson
Community Member

Been having an issue for a while. I have a hub and mini. Figured this is a good place to describe my issues to help find the root of it

Both work for an amount of time then seemingly stop connecting to my network. The hub shows the WiFi setup QR code and the mini just says "something went wrong" or " there was a glitch. In Google home they show offline.

My phone always works to controly smart devices and all other smart devices seem stable. I have GE Cync Smart bulbs and Samsung TVs. 

I have factory reset both devices a few times and they work for a bit then go back to non functional. If I unplug them for a minute then plug them back in, they reset and work for an amount of time again.