cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home not able to change Philips Hue scenes

fjtrevino
Community Member

Since yesterday morning, Google Home could not control my Philips Hue lights that had worked for years. It was saying that Philips Hue was not available and all lights showed offline in the app on both my iOS and Android devices. But I could control the lights directly from the Philips Hue app and with Alexa and Siri.

From the Google Home app, I tried to unlink Philips Hue but it was not listed as linked. I was trying to link again, but it never did, so I had to unlink Google through the Philips Hue webpage in my account. After that, I was able to link Philips Hue again to my Google Home on the app.

I was able to add all the lights and put them in their respective room. But now, I can only change the color, dim the lights or turn them on/off either with the Google Home app or with a voice command in my devices (Google Mini, Google Nest Hub, or Lenovo Smart Clock with Google Assistant). But when I try to set or change scenes I get the same message "I couldn't reach Philips Hue" or "Sorry, it seems that Philips Hue is not available right now".

I have asked Google Home to link all my devices several times and it seems that it does it as I don't get an error message.

Also, I have some automations that change the scenes that don't work.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

151 REPLIES 151

Mintie
Community Member

Also started for me a few days ago. Cannot control hue lights at all from any Google device. Works fine in hue app, however. Worked fine for years until a few days ago. 

Zephryllis
Community Member

Also can’t access my scenes. Reinstalled all my lights and reset them in Google Home but no good. I can control the lights with the very basic Google specific colors but no scenes. 

Adam016
Community Member

I’m having the same issue with scenes!  It worked until maybe a couple weeks ago.   The scenes disappeared from the routines.  I was able to add the scenes to a routine but when I run the routine, nothing happens.   Super annoying.  

philknight
Community Member

Same issue here.  After nearly 5 years of Google Home executing/triggering Hue Scenes I meticulously programmed, they stopped working this last weekend.  Google Home continues to trigger scenes for Lutron and Leviton, but not Hue.  The issue is somewhere in the connection with Hue.  My Google Home is connected to my hue account and can turn lights on/off (this even works if say “hey Google turn off all the lights in the master bedroom”, it will turn off those hue lights).  So Hue is talking to Google, but something has gone wrong with scene triggering.

Hopefully Google techs will see this and provide a fix.

Wuushu
Community Member

Same issues here

Jmd946
Community Member

I have been messaging with Phillips Hue. Both they and Google have made updates to their apps/products but obviously haven’t been communicating with each other.

Hue support had me unlink Hue from Google App, delete the app, then relink and then have to re-create all my automations. That didn’t work. Now they want me to delete all the lights that aren’t working a re-add them.

If that doesn’t work, they have asked me to talk to Google. The only problem with google is that there is no way to actually create a support ticket. Posting on the forum has not prompted anyone from google to respond. 

these two companies need to work together to solve the problem. One hand needs to talk to the other. Still crickets from google. 

VK2023
Community Member

Same issue occured for me, like others starting this past weekend. I primarily use Google Home speakers in every room and for years commands such as "Turn on the nightlight" or "Turn on the reading light" would execute the respective Hue Scene in that room. Now Google doesn't understand the commands.

I'm encountering numerous issues with Google across all their products in just the past couple of months. I guess shame on me for committing so much to one company. Wonder how things could have fallen off so rapidly and across so many of their platforms.

niraj
Community Member

Same issue here for the past few days, glad to see it's not just me but it'd be nice to hear some acknowledgement from Google and hopefully it can be fixed on the backend because setting this all up again due to a bad update would be a terrible user experience.

caseyscott
Community Member

Sameeee issue, despite uninstalling everything and starting over 😩 HELP! 

Naroom
Community Member

Seems like google don't care, i guess i'll have to switch to amazon or apple~ -_-' 

Phrawst
Community Member

Also happening to me. Hopefully no more useless "try setting up an entire new home" replies from support. How about an actual update that this is reported to the dev team and a fix is forthcoming.

Lucasguy11
Community Member

Hey everyone, I had a note that .sy be helpful to you: 

I just had my contact at Google confirm, and I talked to their support - *this is not a Google issue* google does not notate this issue as something on their end. 

I recommend if you are here to go to Philips hue and inquire with them, google is of 0 help. 

Do not waste your time calling google, the issue is not on googles end. Please call Philips. I will make a new note after I call Philips and confirm if they are even *aware* of this issue. 

Thank you. Please follow up with your findings mate! 🤞

Leinad
Community Member

Same problem. I can even see in the Google Home app that the lights appear as "without connection", but I can use them one by one though. Very weird. 

Sheimend
Community Member

Exact same for me. My automations worked flawlessly for years until several days ago. When I try rebuilding automations to include Hue scenes, the Hue don't respond. But I can control my Hue lights individually through the Google Home app or via voice commands.

This is deeply annoying. 

Michel_V
Community Member

Indeed, for a week the scenarios have no longer worked. I contacted Philips, no response! On the Google side, you have to contact the manufacturer! In short, we're going in circles... I deleted my house and created a new one but nothing changes, the Philips Hue scenes cannot be used in Google Home. When scenes are present in Philips Hue and I ask Google Home to sync my devices, it tells me that an error has occurred in Philips Hue and worse, if I unlink my Philips Hue account from Google and try to unlink it. link again, it tells me that philips hue cannot be found. I then have to clean the bridge in the Philips Hue app. Big bug...

NoGoodNewb
Community Member

same issue.  So frustrating 😡😡😡 

google should not be silent even if they feel Philips issue.  This is forcing us to look at alternate solutions like Alexa.  I have too many hue lights to use control individual lights.  Get scenes working again !!!

i was able to get scenes working easily with routines in Alexa app.  I ordered an echo and now everything is working again. Just have to say hey, Alexa.  Problem solved.  The echo also seems easier to use vs my google nest device and I am able to control my nest thermostat again.  No too invested in google eco system so easy change.

Cool story bro

Lucasguy11
Community Member

@everyone I fixed it!!!!! 

Google home is effectively a keylogger. Just like a streamdeck. ... If your automation is too fast Google home will speak before it can be heard. 

To fix it you simply add a 1 second delay before each command of the scene. 

The problem is that Google Home no longer recognizes Philips Hue scenes. When I want to create a routine, and I want to select the actions included in the routine, the add scenes tab no longer includes the scenes created with Philips Hue!

I do not have this issue at all, I have made 3 new automations with scenes in the past hour. 

To beat the dead horse, that sounds like an unlink and relink issue as I still have scenes - they just were not able to be controled via voice command because Google home was moving too fast through the automation cue.  

Here, I first noticed that the routines were not completely completed. If 4 actions constituted a routine, only two actions were performed. I then wanted to resynchronize my devices in Google Home. Google then said that an error had occurred with Google Home and that it needed to be reconfigured. I unlinked my account and when I tried to re-link it, a message "Could'nt reach Philips hue" appeared. I had to clean the bridge with the Philips Hue app to be able to re-link my account. At this time, in Google, no more scenes created with Philips Hue are displayed in Google Home. You should know that as soon as the bridge is cleaned, we lose the scenes created. I erased my house and recreated a new one. All devices are recognized and synchronization only works if no scene is created. As soon as a scene is created with the Philips Hue application and I try to synchronize the devices with Google Home, an error with Philips Hue is encountered and the scenes are not displayed in Google Home.

Lucasguy11
Community Member

To clarify further on my statement above. Add a 1 second delay before every scene change, or add a custom command and say "silence" and the automations will work the same again, just in sequence, not instant anymore. 

Obviously we want it to go back as is. But my automations are important so I'll use this fix until I get word that it is back to normal. 

How can I "add a 1 second delay before each scene change". I am not familiar with this possibility. Tx. 

It's at the very bottom when trying to add or adjust an automation. Or, add a custom command and input "silence" 

RTennant
Community Member

What is Google doing to fix this absolute trash app? I went to make some changes to my routines that were working and they stopped working. I tried unlinking and relinking Hue, going through and renaming all the scenes so they corresponded to the rooms they go in because suddenly in the Home app it just displayed the scene name multiple times with no way to differentiate this and I even went so far as to completely delete and recreate the automations, all for nothing. Don't even think about asking me to create a new Home. Everything works fine in the Hue app, this is a million percent a GOOGLE HOME problem, so what is Google doing to fix it?

Michel_V
Community Member

I contacted Google Home support today and they informed me that there is a known bug in the Google Home routines. Technical support is working to resolve the issue which should provide a fix in the coming days

Signify-Rob
Community Member

We are aware of the issue and apologize for the trouble. Could you please try editing your Google routine and re-adding the Philips Hue scene via the Google Home app? That should resolve the issue.

And please tell us if you still experience issues with triggers scenes via Google using voice?

NOLANest504
Community Member

I’m not unlinking or deleting squat! Took me years to get all those custom scenes and 50+ lights just right. Everyone is saying that this doesn’t seem to work by deleting anyways. Before I go to bed, I just set all the lights on the scene I use for the morning, so when I tell GOOGLE, “I’m up”, it runs the lights at the last used Hue scene. I would like them to fix this soon though. 😒

Sheimend
Community Member

Still no dice for me. I made the mistake of unlinking Philips Hue and trying to relink again. It goes through whole flow and looks like it's going to work, but ends with "Could not reach Phillips Hue. Please try again."

So, now my Hue devices are stuck totally unlocked from Google Home. Others would be wise not to make the same mistake I did.

But Google shipping a fix would be even better.

When you are in this state, can you try to link another Google skill, e.g. Sonos. I noticed that once in this state, all skills don't work and it takes x hours wait to succeed again.

Update: it's working again! I had to physically power cycle my Hue bridge (even though it was working fine in the Hue app). I was then able to add it back to my Works with Google devices in Google Home, then reassign lights to each room and re-link automations with my Hue scenes. 

RTennant
Community Member

LMAO **bleep**'s still broke, automations are absolutely useless. FIX. THIS. CRAP.

Did you try to re-add the scenes to the automations?

I don't know how to add the scenes since they are not displayed in Google Home. This is precisely where there is a bug

JuanAntonioAdan
Community Member

In my case, I had to unlink Google account, uninstall Google Home from the phone, install again Google Home, re-link Google account and discover devices, and everything is working now.

Phrawst
Community Member

It's working for me again. You gotta scroll waaaay to the bottom of the list of things to find the scenes category. Took me a second to find it.

Michel_V
Community Member

I found the category but for me, it is empty even though the scenes are present in the native Philips Hue application

So if you go to Automations > Add > Household > Add action > Adjust Home devices > Add scenes (in bottom). It shows empty?

IMG_0958.PNGIMG_0959.PNG