cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google nest doorbell and Google Hub Max volume not loud enough.

Minto
Community Member

I just bought a nest doorbell (battery) and a Google Nest Hub Max, and I’m not happy with the doorbell volume through the Hub Max.

The Hub Max seems to have 2 volume categories - regular volume for music, YouTube, assistant etc and a second volume setting for alarms.

i would have thought that the nest doorbell volume would run through the alarm volume because if someone’s at your door you want it to be loud and not miss it. The regular volume we have set at about 3 or 4 out of 10 for music etc, any louder is too loud for normal use.

Unfortunately, even if the alarm volume is turned up the doorbell volume seems to run off the regular volume and so we often miss it completely, if not standing right beside it.

it would make much more sense if it was set through the alarm volume or better still have a third setting for doorbell which I would have set at max.

setting the regular volume beyond about 4 or 5 is too loud for all the other things the Hub Max does.

Google can you please fix this?

6 REPLIES 6

Super_paulie
Community Member

A well known issue that Google haven't addressed for years I'm afraid. A rep will be along soon saying "they are always looking to improve" and a link to fill out a form. Which won't make any difference whatsoever.

It would take a developer merely minutes to code in a third volume control but they haven't done it.

Thanks Paulie, I figured I couldn’t be the only one with this thought.

Is it a Google tactic to make you buy a separate chime?

I won’t hold my breath on a solution anytime soon…

When I get a chance I'm going to look into a routine that turns the volume up when the doorbell is pressed and then back down again afterwards but I have yet to test out this theory in practice.

BruceEmsworth
Community Member

I am trying to do something similar. My project is to take an alert from my Google Doorbell and make a sound on a remote sounder.

My current attempt is to use something like Hardill or SmartNORA to get the alert into NodeRed and then use MQTT to send a message to an 8266 which will make the sound......

Still not cracked it, but I am trying ....

Bruce

Minto
Community Member

Thanks Bruce, let me know if you crack it.

In the meantime I have set up an automation that is pretty pathetic but works. IMG_7203.jpeg

BruceEmsworth
Community Member

OK I think I have it "limping" - so far so good .....

Now this is just a rough guide, so I will have to improve this if anyone else wants to do this!

In NodeRed load the SmartNORA library. Use Smart NORA and deploy a "Switch" node - give it a name that means something to you (mine is "Switch to MQTT").

Deploy it and it should show up in your "Google Home" app as "Switch to MQTT".

Also in NodeRed apply an "MQTT Out" node. Set this up with your broker (I use a public broker) and give the queue a suitable name like "myhouse/doorbell"

Then go to your "Google Home" app and create an automation with a "Starter" which is "when someone rings the doorbell" and add an "action" which is your "Switch to MQTT" goes true.

Now the bit which is your choice - create a "thing" to make your sound.

I use a Wemos D1 Mini with a 3.3V sounder and driven off a pin on the D1. I have written the code in C++ which connects to WiFi and MQTT and subscribes to the "myhouse/doorbell" queue. When it receives a message it pushes the appropriate pin to high.

To my surprise it worked pretty much first time!

If anyone wants details just let me know 

Regards

Bruce

PS HUGE thanks to Andre Tatar for the SmartNORA library