cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest Smoke Detector turning on hallway light

Jimmyly86
Community Member

I'm not sure why it isn't working, I get no errors. When i manually start it, the lights will turn on and off but the motion won't start the automation. Any suggestions?

metadata:
name: Untitled # Choose a short name that summarizes important starters and actions, like “Sunset lights”.
description: Scripted automation # Write a detailed description that includes everything the automation does, like “At sunset, on weekdays, close blinds, turn on lights to 50%, and play the sunset playlist on certain speakers.”

automations:
# “starters” and “actions” are required; “conditions” are optional.
# Use Ctrl + Space to see autocomplete suggestions.

# ---- STARTERS ---- #
# Starters describe events that will start the automation.
# To add more than one starter, duplicate the "- type" section under "starters".
# If you add multiple starter events, any one of them happening will start the automation.
starters:
- type: device.event.MotionDetection # Motion has been detected by the device.
device: Downstairs(Smoke Detector) - Downstairs

# ---- CONDITIONS ---- #
# Conditions are optional. Delete this section if it’s empty.
# Conditions will prevent an automation from starting if the conditions aren’t met.
# See g.co/home/script-editor-docs for documentation about how to use logical operators like “and”, “or”, and “not”.

# ---- ACTIONS ---- #
# Actions will start when a starter event takes place and all conditions are met.
# Actions will start in the order they appear in the script and with any delay specified.
# To add more than one action, duplicate the "- type" section under "actions".
actions:
- type: device.command.OnOff # Turn the device on or off.
on: true
devices: Hall Way - Lights

- type: time.delay
# Adjust duration as needed. Supported units: sec, min, hour
for: 1min

on: false
devices: Hall Way - Lights

7 REPLIES 7

jeroendk
Community Member

Same here... my Nest Protect smoke detectors won't trigger device.event.MotionDetection. 

Hollen_ar_mor
Community Member

Only wired Nest Protect send MotionDectection status...

It's written in the Google Home/Away specs.

npackard
Community Member

Mine are all wired the, same problem, no device.event.MotionDetection event detected by automation.

metadata:
name: Foyer Motion # Choose a short name that summarizes important starters and actions, like “Sunset lights”.
description: Foyer light on when motion

automations:
starters:
- type: device.event.MotionDetection # Motion has been detected by the device.
device: Foyer - Downstairs

actions:
on: true
devices: Foyer lamp - Foyer

jeroendk
Community Member

I only have wired Nest Protects, so that could not be the reason. Did you manage to get it to work, Hollen_ar_mor?

@jeroendk wrote:

I only have wired Nest Protects, so that could not be the reason. Did you manage to get it to work, Hollen_ar_mor?

I only have battery ones... But I saw wired Nest Protect can trigger Home/Away status. So I though they could be able to work with MotionDetection.

In Automation, there is "autotext". For each "type" of starter, action or condition, there is a list of compatible devices. And when you choose "MotionDetection", my battery Nest Protect are proposed.

But the trigger doesn't work.

So I don't know if it's a bug or a Google limitation...

@Hollen_ar_mor wrote:

So I don't know if it's a bug or a Google limitation...

I guess that means there's a double bug: (1) non-wired protects shouldn't be proposed through autotext and (2) even if wired devices are used in the script it doesn't trigger any action.

Yes mine is wired as well, when selecting motion detection it gives me the option to choose the smoke detector.