cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

"There was a problem setting up Nest Mini"

Tpp
Community Member

I've read through multiple different posts here and on Reddit, regarding this problem. 

I rebooted my nest mini multiple times, - to include a hard reset by holding the middle of the four LED light section. 

I have rebooted my Wi-Fi. 

I am still receiving the error message. "There was a problem setting up the nest mini", and the device appears offline, yet is controllable, in the Google home app.

However, it randomly is removed from Google home, at a random time of the day, and I get a notification that it has done so. 

It states that another account user in the house removed it, but they did not. 

At this point, I have ordered another Google nest mini. If it does not work either, I will return it to Google, and put another Amazon device in the room that this Google nest mini was in. 

9 REPLIES 9

TechWithBrett
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Hey Tpp,

Could you tell me which phone you are using?

I'm using Android, a Google 6 Pro. 

TechWithBrett
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

Thank you for that. On Google Pixel devices you need to first download the Device Utility app to set up Google Nest devices. Once downloaded the app will walk you through setting up your Google Nest Mini.

That didn't work, either! As many people have reported since the Sonos lawsuit, device utility is no longer finding the device, it just says make sure your device is on and near the phone, while the device is on and 1-in away from my phone - Even after I follow the device utility instructions of disconnecting from my home network on my phone.  

I am also unable to set up a Nest Mini 2 on my Pixel 7 and have tried the Device Utility app and that does not work. It turns off the wifi and then searches for the device and finds nothing, even if I literally place the phone on top of the Mini. It is absolutely insane that there is no other way for a Google device to connect to another Google device and the solution is still "use an iPhone."

Tpp
Community Member

Even using an iphone (iPad in my case) doesn't fix the problem - The device works, but all instances of the Google home app, whether on my Pixel phone, on my iPad, or on my wife's iPhone, show the devices offline, and randomly about every 24 hours, though not on a perfect timeline, one or the other account with access to the Google home is listed as having removed the device, and we have to go set the thing back up again.

I feel like Google has stopped caring about this product. 

Tpp
Community Member

I have since attempted to add it using an iOS device, and, while I did not go through the same problems in setup that I did using my Pixel, it still shows that it is offline when I look at it in the home app in Pixel (but not in iOS device), however, neither device can add it to the home group. 

Thanks, Google, for hamstringing your customers who attempt to stay within your ecosystem, and try and use your devices together. This device was working fine yesterday, lost connection, for no reason, I did a reboot, and now it no longer works.

5:1 against odds that the new one I ordered will work, either. 

Tpp
Community Member

Update to the issue, this nest device is now being randomly removed from the account by another account holder, my wife, in the household, with no action taken on her part, using her iOS device. 

What the hell is going on with Google nest devices?

Tpp
Community Member

This nest mini continues to malfunction - Every day, sometimes multiple times per day, we (myself and the other person in my Google Home) get a notification saying one of us has unlinked the Nest Mini from our account, but neither of us did.

This looks like a problem multiple people have had for over a year, there's almost no solution proposed that actually works, and product experts lock the posts.