cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Trouble connecting nest doorbell to new wifi

lsantangelo16
Community Member

I am having trouble connecting my existing nest doorbell (battery operated) to a new wifi name/password.  I removed the device from my google home app, made sure my other google products are connected to the new wifi network name, restored the doorbell to factory settings, and turned my modem off for over 30 seconds and nothing has helped.  I am using the app to scan the QR code and the device is recognized but I keep getting a failure to pair device notice. 

6 REPLIES 6

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@lsantangelo16 

Have you done a "factory reset" and NOT a "restart"?  Both sets of instructions are in the same Help topic:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9252162

Scorpioneater
Community Member

Having the same issue, until I reset the device back to Factory. 

Hi there, 

I'm sorry you're running into this situation with your Nest Cameras connectivity.

Take a look into this guide to troubleshoot the set up:

Make sure to follow these steps:

• Restart your Wifi router and your phone.
  • Force close or reinstall your Google Home App.
  • Make sure Bluetooth is on. Turn Bluetooth off, then back on to refresh the connection.
  • Close all the apps running in the background of your phone, reopen the Google Home app then try adding the camera again.
  • Bring your phone closer to the camera within 10 to 12 inches during pairing setup.
  • Restart your phone, turn it off for 60 seconds then turn it on.
  • Put your mobile device on airplane mode, then turn on Bluetooth and WiFi.
  • Try a different mobile device.

Keep me posted.

Best regards,

Melany

Thank you for your reply.  I did all of these things other than reinstalling the google home app.  I was so frustrated that I just set the wifi network to the original name and password and was able to then reconnect the doorbell.  I had only changed the wifi info to begin with because I had just received a Hatch sound machine for my baby's nursery and apparently hatch cannot connect to a wifi network that has any "special characters" like dashes in it.  It was a very frustrating experience overall lol. 

@lsantangelo16 

Because updating Google Nest Wi-Fi settings is so difficult, Google Nest's first recommendation when getting a new router/modem is actually to "Try the same network name and password":

"The simplest fix for most Nest products is to update your home network so that the network name (SSID) and password are the same as before."

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9223711?hl=en&sjid=12131516557760238229-NC#zippy=%2Ctry...

Hi there,

I understand how frustrating it can be when your device wasn't working as expected.

I'm glad you were able to reconnect it, let me know if you need further assistance.

I'm here if you have any other questions

Best regards,

Melany