cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

nest cam outdoor wired

portuc
Community Member

Anyone having an issue with their hard-wired nest cam outdoor wire getting ruined by the elements. Live in NJ and I had this camera for only like three years and its not working from being outside. was told the warranty is done so maybe I can just purchase a new wire to replace the one damaged on my own by a customer representative. Anyone else have a similar experience. 

20240307_125428.jpg

6 REPLIES 6

Apsilon778
Community Member

Assuming the connection is staying consistant and the product is performing well....I would recommend the cheaper option of using some electrical tape. A

Money is easier to spend than it is to make if you get me. 

Best regards,
Apsilon
"I fight for the users"

I'm going try doing that. This camera doesn't even turn on

mr_fixer
Community Member

I am also having the same problem and the cable is only cracked not exposing the 5V and GND wire. However, mine turns on for just a minute then turns off and goes offline. Then I have to unplug the AC adapter and plug it back in to only turn on for just a minute again. I have like 8 of these cameras outside so it's going to be a major problem when they all fail.

Likely means there is a short if the device forces a shutdown. 

Best regards,
Apsilon
"I fight for the users"

JillG
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hi @portuc 

Unfortunately, I too experienced my camera wire degrading. I do live in a harsh temperature area but am disappointed that the wire literally crumbled when other outdoor cables are still going strong.

Nest support was unable to help as my unit was out of warranty. I was not comfortable using the camera with the wires exposed so I personally replaced mine. Not the best option but my only one at the time.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@portuc 

It's too bad your deterioration has affected the camera itself.

I think mounting cameras under an overhang, eave, or camera shade can help protect them from the elements. Our oldest camera (we live in Minnesota) is five years old and none of our cameras show any cable deterioration.