cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

BBC iPlayer constant black flashing

Lardo
Community Member

I have had success watching the BBC iPlayer on a Chromecast for years, but now I get black flickering constantly.

This is on an LG C2 TV and it works fine via every other method... via Xbox, via the TV's built-in application. 

I'm having a few issues with the Chromecast picture not looking as good as the built-in app too, so I've mostly ditched using it at all. I like the UI design, but the fact it doesn't have a Channel 4 app, and the iPlayer is flickering, I don't use it much at all.

I've fired off a request to the BBC about this too, but I'm pretty sure it's a Chromecast issue, as it works fine absolutely everywhere else!!!

We can go back and forth forever, and blame each other, but please can you look into this with some urgency.

I even bought an ethernet adapter for the chromecast, to rule out ethernet speeds, but I have fine 4k connections to Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

PLEASE can you get some engineers to look at this, and I will gladly provide system logs if you tell me how.

Cheers

Tim

5 REPLIES 5

Grandalf1975
Community Member

I also have the same problem. I even bought the ethernet adapter for Chromecast as well. Like you, I can stream 4k from other sources and no other app flickers anywhere near as much (if at all)

It's frustrating as heck. All other apps are flawless, but this flickering on BBC iPlayer really drags you out of whatever you're watching. 
What TV do you have by any chance? 

I've heard that dropping the max resolution of the Chromecast to lower than 4k "fixes" it, but that is not a fix. 

If you have a chance @Grandalf1975 might be worth filling this form out, but I'm quite technical and don't think it's something wrong with the BBC app tbh. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/contact-iplayer-help/#/Need%20more%20help? 

I submitted a report. I think it is the iPlayer app misbehaving on the Chromecast with Google TV. I have a Toshiba TV but the Chromecast is connected through a Yamaha AV receiver (as is the PlayStation that has no issues). It really is only iPlayer on the Chromecast...

Great stuff, thank you! Hopefully there are more people who we can get to submit issues to Google and the BBC, and it can finally be looked into.

Still convinced it's something Google are doing wrong, as opposed to the BBC app itself.

I use the BBC app on an Xbox, the LG TV itself, and via a Virgin box and they all work flawlessly. 

Cjsood
Community Member

Yes I am also suffering from this exact same issue! Have reported it to iPlayer and they sent me a list of questions but I don't seem to be getting anywhere really. The only thing that stops it is changing to SD quality.