cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google TV Chromecast - YouTube Playback Speed Control MISSING

onpoint_5280
Community Member

When viewing YouTube videos using Google TV Chromecast it is no longer possible to use the video playback speed option. The icon for the control has disappeared, basically overnight.

What happened?

Is this temporary?

If not, I suggest there are a large number of people who want the speed control option restored.

Thank you.

85 REPLIES 85

Same here.... On my Android 11 phone using the YouTube app, I get --all-- of the playback speeds!
But, when I cast from the phone to the Roku 4660 4K device, all of the speed options disappear.
However, when I cast from the phone to the 2018 LG 4K TV, then I get some of the speed playback options, but not all of them, and most importantly to me, I do *not* get the .75 playback speed. The .75 playback speed is the speed most needed when watching educational and instructional videos, where, more often than not, the narrator speaks too fast. And .75 speed is the best option to then be able to understand and comprehend, without watch the video over many times...

Ifko
Community Member

I've contacted SONY, they can't help with 3rd party applications. Exchanged over 15 mails with YT support with no progress or solution. Raised over 30 posts on Google community forums. Option is gone and nobody is looking into it.

tp4slw88
Community Member

I tried to buy a new Sony LED TV, expecting I can control playback speed on YouTube.

at the beginning, the merchant sent me a Samsung ( Android TV) instead of Sony by mistake.

The Samsung does provide YouTube speed playback functionality.

But after the merchant fixed the wrong delivery which meant I got the Sony (Google TV), the control is gone.

So I guess Google TV cannot control YouTube playback speed, but Android TV can.

Yashakur
Community Member

137D4930-D05A-4303-9817-8EDEE0C43A33.jpegAnyone out there actually able to control your video PlayBack Speed on your ChromeCast Ultra casting via the YouTube iOS app??

When casting videos to any TV (HDMI connected to a) ChromeCast Ultra via YouTube iOS app, the PlayBack Speed button IS visible and clickable, under the video Settingsin the YouTube iOS app, however, there’s NO REACTION when clicking the PlayBack Speed button.. 😫😠

Whenever I DISCONNECT YouTube iOS from my ChromeCast Ultra, the PlayBack Speed is suddenly active when playing videos DIRECTLY ON the YouTube iOS itself (when not connected to the TV via the Chromecast Ultra)..

Please let me know whether anyone at least aware of this specific irritating issue?

I’ve searched through the whole Internet, and at this point, It feels like I’m the only one in the world experiencing this YouTube PlayBack Speed on ChromeCast Ultra casting from YouTube iOS app issue in this exact way, for the past 1.5 years, with no solution!!

Google ChromeCast Team has simply decided to ignore the users bringing up this issue!

In a way I’m very happy about deciding to leave Google ecosystem entirely and switch to the Apple ecosystem, including Apple TV 4Ks throughout our entire three stories house (which btw just screams quality on a completely different level compared to the Google ecosystem), because this customer service attitude of Google ChromeCast Teams is simply ridiculous!!

There is not even an official explanation from them about this issue for the past whole year!

Personally, to me, this is not acceptable.

• I’m using an Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max with iOS 16.3.

• My YouTube iOS version is 18.04.3.

• My Google ChromeCast Ultra has the following ”Technical Information”:

- System FirmWare Version: 281627

- Cast FirmWare: 1.56.281627

- Language: en-GB

I look forward to your feedback, thanks in advance.

Greetings from Norway.

Ksp1955
Community Member

Just bought a new Sony brava 2/10/23. YouTube does not have playback speed option.  Even when casting it drops back to normal. Help!  How do I fix this?

ZorroD
Community Member

Brand new Sony Google tv here and having the same issue. Roku app has the speed option. Should of just stayed with Samsung.