cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home not able to change Philips Hue scenes

fjtrevino
Community Member

Since yesterday morning, Google Home could not control my Philips Hue lights that had worked for years. It was saying that Philips Hue was not available and all lights showed offline in the app on both my iOS and Android devices. But I could control the lights directly from the Philips Hue app and with Alexa and Siri.

From the Google Home app, I tried to unlink Philips Hue but it was not listed as linked. I was trying to link again, but it never did, so I had to unlink Google through the Philips Hue webpage in my account. After that, I was able to link Philips Hue again to my Google Home on the app.

I was able to add all the lights and put them in their respective room. But now, I can only change the color, dim the lights or turn them on/off either with the Google Home app or with a voice command in my devices (Google Mini, Google Nest Hub, or Lenovo Smart Clock with Google Assistant). But when I try to set or change scenes I get the same message "I couldn't reach Philips Hue" or "Sorry, it seems that Philips Hue is not available right now".

I have asked Google Home to link all my devices several times and it seems that it does it as I don't get an error message.

Also, I have some automations that change the scenes that don't work.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

151 REPLIES 151

We might have a lead on why this issue with scenes is happening. Can you tell me how many (if any) automations in the Hue app you have set up?

I have just 6 custom automations.

... in the Hue app.

That's great to hear! Also i'm really thankful to hear you are taking this issue so seriously, props!

I had roughly 8 scenes setup but recently cleaned up the Hue hub (with the cleanup tool in the Hue app) so all scenes are reset and I setup just 1 scene to test how it would sync with Google Home. Unfortunately the issues remains the same.

I have no 'automations' set up in the Hue app (by automations i mean the stuff you can setup in the Automations tab in the Hue app).

Also if you want to get in touch directly that's perfectly fine by me. Phone call, e-mail or dm for example. I'd like to help providing info and testing. I'm Dutch by the way so maybe that makes things easier.

Can you please try to say  "Hey Google, synchronize my devices." Wait around 2 minutes and see if it works again. If not, please reach out via to philipshuedev @ signify.com and we are happy to get into contact with you to debug. 

NOLANest504
Community Member

This is beyond RIDICULOUS! This has been going on for months now and it’s pretty inexcusable. I get that companies make software updates and Google and Hue have both made some. However, they need to maintain their functional cooperation with one another to ensure that little label on their products that says, “works with Google, Alexa, etc,” isn’t false advertising.

Has anybody received any direct comments or fixes from Google or Hue on this matter?   

I mailed them today with a link to this thread. I will keep you informed when I get an answer.

Ihek
Community Member

I am also in contact with google . Telling about this problem with Philips hue and google home .

the problem is ever time a new person is following with the case ( in these two days , four persons are following with the case) they all almost talk about same procedure , update apps , check WiFi , try create a new home and so on.

I was not able to unlink Philips hue from google home time I get the message ( something went wrong)

then I went in my app and deleted every light manually ( 100 lights 🙂

then I was able to unlink Philips hue ( actually I did it from my google account under linked devices )

Now I am trying to relink Philips hue , but unfortunately I am still getting the message ( something went wrong)

I also created a new google account and created a new home but it didn’t help when trying to link Philips hue the same message ( something went wrong).

I don’t know where is the problem . I assume it’s from the Google app it self because I also tried to unlink other services then I get the same message. I hope we can find a solution for this

Jorin1632
Community Member

Maybe they are following here too?

I put in a message with Hue since nothing is coming out of Google on this. I’ve tried every bit of the troubleshooting, even made sure my Hue hub is up-to-date and compatible.

Signify-Rob
Community Member

We as Philips Hue are following this thread and working with Google on getting to the bottom of the linking issues that you experience. Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope to bring better news soon.

Ihek
Community Member

We hope to get good news 👍

Yvonne80
Community Member

Same here. Since an update, the scenes of the Hue lights are gone and the Google Voice tells me that there is an issue when I do try to use the colours provided by the Google app. 

Ihek
Community Member

Do any of you has a problem with Unlink and relink Philips hue From google Home ?

l have been in kontakt with Philips hue and actually i didn’t get a solution .

they told my because I have many lights in my bridge .

I have 3 hue bridges 

1) 50 lights 6 dimmer 6 motion

2) 36 lights 4 dimmer 3 motion

3) 24 lights 1 dimmer 3 motion 

l have them for about 4 years and there where no problem .

after many attempt I removed every light individually from google home and made relink from web based google home ( from my google account Andre linked services )

no I uploaded lights again using Matter . They come without problem, but I didn’t react to voice / scene yet.

I think they want to force us to use Matter .

Jorin1632
Community Member

@Ihek wrote:

Do any of you has a problem with Unlink and relink Philips hue From google Home ?

l have been in kontakt with Philips hue and actually i didn’t get a solution .

they told my because I have many lights in my bridge .

I have 3 hue bridges 

1) 50 lights 6 dimmer 6 motion

2) 36 lights 4 dimmer 3 motion

3) 24 lights 1 dimmer 3 motion 

l have them for about 4 years and there where no problem .

after many attempt I removed every light individually from google home and made relink from web based google home ( from my google account Andre linked services )

no I uploaded lights again using Matter . They come without problem, but I didn’t react to voice / scene yet.

I think they want to force us to use Matter .

I have! I disconnected Hue from my Google Home App a few weeks ago and can´t reconnect it now.

Jesse16
Community Member

Same issue here. I can select my Hue scenes in routines, but when I run the routine, I get the error message that it can't reach Philips Hue. Individual light control works fine. 

Does scene activation via voice works for you?

No, sorry, just replied to this in another post in this same thread. It doesn't work, says it can't reach Philips Hue. Individual light control via voice does work. When I ask my phone to sync my devices, it partially does but also gives the error that some devices aren't available. See the attached screenshot: lights seem to sync fine but for scenes it says "can't load status" (translated from Dutch).

1000081300.png

jpzsports
Community Member

Same issue here! So frustrating. After doing more testing, I removed Hue from my Google Home account and relinked everything and had to set up my routines all over again. It's been a few days and I haven't had the issue of the devices appearing offline yet, but I have a different issue. I can turn on/off lights via Google home but cannot turn on scenes. I get an error message every time.

Signify-Rob
Community Member

Regarding the non working scenes issue, we have rolled out a potential fix in the cloud. Can you please try to say  "Hey Google, synchronize my devices." Wait around 2 minutes and see if it works again. Curious to know the results!

It's not working for me

Thanks for getting back to us Rob, much appreciated. Unfortunately, the issue remains ("Sorry, i can't reach Philips Hue' when trying to activate a scene with Google Assistant). Steps I took: restart the Hue Bridge, restart the router, reconnected Philips Hue via 'Works with Google' in the Google Home app, asked Google Assistant to 'Sync my devices'.

Thanks for the update, Rob. Unfortunately, the issue still persists. I asked google to "sync my devices" and then saw an error that all the scene were unavailable. And when I do a voice command to activate a scene, I still get the same error message as before. Please continue working to resolve this issue.

It seems this update solved my problem with the linking between Google Home and Philips Hue too! It happend today I was able to connect the Philips Hue Account within my Google Home App! Thank you very much! I am so happy!

Signify-Rob
Community Member

Very unfortunate to hear that some of you still experience issues with triggering scenes. We would be happy if you are willing to debug this issue together with us. Please reach out to philipshuedev @ signify.com. It would entail that we contact you after European work hours and might require to unlink/relink your integration.

DLH007
Community Member

Hello, I am a silent reader. I was able to reconnect Google and Hue, now it works like before.

Jesse16
Community Member

Thanks, just tried that but unfortunately no luck yet 😞

AlexSlok
Community Member

Same here, but no solution so far I read 😒

NOLANest504
Community Member

FINALLY A REPLY FROM PHILIPS HUE! 

Looks like with all the updates, Google/Philips doesn’t support Philips scene programming in the Google Home app anymore. So much for all those “Works with” claims. Hard to believe they couldn’t just put a notice out to users instead of making us go nuts for several months tying to figure this out and some deleting and reinstalling their entire system to no avail. This is the email they sent me with a 15% off code to buy new products that no longer work as good as they use to. No thanks! What’s more hilarious is that these commands don’t work and are not recognized by my Google hub. I give up!

We would like to inform that the Hue scenes will not show up on the Home app. That is an option that is available. However, it will trigger your lights to a certain scene that was created on the Philips Hue app. For that, you need to say the following command in order to trigger that:

Activate Relax in the den.

Activate Blue lagoon in the master bedroom.

You have to follow this pattern in order to get these Hue Scenes triggered. 

Additionally, here are some commands to be followed: https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/explore-hue/works-with/the-google-assistant/google-commands-for-hu...

If you have any further questions or information related to the case please reply to this email or call 1-800-555-0050 “

For me, Hue scenes were never actually visible in or programmable from the Google Home app. But saying 'Activate <scene name>' would work just fine. But since a while, that doesn't work anymore either. I'm currently in touch with the Hue team about this.

DLH007
Community Member

i am a german user, but it works after reconnect hue to google. before that i couldn't connect for months. it started when i wanted to test matter.

Jesse16
Community Member

I tried reconnecting Hue to Home multiple times, to no avail. Now that you mention it, I think I tried something with Matter too... I believe I tried to manually add a Matter device and entered the Matter-pairing code from the Hue bridge. Did you do something similar by any chance?