cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home settings show Geofence error

puddatoo
Community Member

I have Philips Hue lights (about 48), 4 that have been turning on periodically during the day. I believe it may be since installing a new Nest E thermostat in place of my Nest Learning thermostat that failed from lack of a common (power) wire. 

In t/s this I ran across in the Google Home app settings>Presence sensing the top shows "Geofence error. Some features and settings may be unavailable."

To correct the lights turning on randomly I've turned off all automations in Home and Hue.

My question is what the error is or where to troubleshoot as I've narrowed the active devices to one Pixel phone and set the Home and Hue apps to allowed always on that phone. Then I will start enabling routines until I find the one triggering the lights to come on.

4 REPLIES 4

Matthew_D
Community Member

I am seeing exactly the same error.  I am on Android as well, and all location settings are enabled for home.  In addition I have setup the presence sensing from scratch in Home Preview and it does not have any effect: the bug still occurs.

The issue seems to be a conflict between the Google Home Preview app and the Nest app (at least for me.) Configuring the home/away assist in the Nest app is 100% reliable for me; but in Home Preview if you visit the "presence setting" tab it simply shows the error at the top, but yet shows the phone as the source for location but still says I am away when I am clearly at home.

My theory is that they changed the geofence implementation between the two apps but don't fully support using both apps.  (A shame, since Home Preview is a hot mess.)

In terms of solutions, what works better for me is to setup the home/away assist in the Nest app and not use the presence sensing preferences in the Home app at all.

I'm having the same issue and have never used the nest app, only the presence sensing in the home preview app. In my Google activity I see "everyone left the home, based on inactivity" so basically it is using a lack of activity in home devices and not recognizing that my phone is in the home. 

Not sure how to fix the geofence error. Might see if I can update the home area. 

gofckurself
Community Member

Hey jackholes, any chance of fixing this yet months later?

Paid a lot of money for a phone, and nest display, and nest mini speaker and lights and it SURE WOULD BE NICE TO USE THEM