cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home/away completely borked

Tim-
Community Member

I have presence sensing turned on via home. I have it turned off in the nest thermostat. I have set a location pin over my home for geofencing. I have the availability to select home or away in the home app.

No matter what I do, home and away on my phone will only change if I select it manually. Even worse, there is no home/away starter in any routine. There never has been. I'm guessing this isn't a problem for many people because documentation is sparse.

I have tried all different combinations of settings to no avail. I have set every mobile device to use presence sensing, and none of them work. I've tried to set none of them but mine to use presence sensing. I've tried to use only home for presence sensing, only the nest, both, and neither, over the course of a handful of days. Nothing I do will allow me to set a routine starter as home or away. The option is just not there. 

I gave up on home altogether and setup a raspberry pi running home assistant. The nest thermostat refused to connect, even after setting up Oauth keys, etc. After spending all of my free time on this for over a week, I've given up on home assistant as well, and am settling for the paltry experience of the home app.

There has to be some sort of magical setting somewhere that's stopping me from creating a home/away routine, right? I just want to tell home to turn off a light when I'm away, and turn it on when I'm home. It's supposed to be simple. Was this functionality removed? 

Firmware is up to date on all devices. Everything I bought is branded to work with Google, and does. I'm on stock android, vanilla home app. Nest thermostat, home mini, nest audio.

Because of the failed integration of the thermostat into home assistant, (could be because the process is convoluted as heck, ) I'm thinking there is something wrong with the thermostat. 

If I have to buy another device, I'm switching to components that work with home assistant, because not only is that environment far nicer, bashing my head against the wall to setup such a simple routine in home is absolutely ridiculous. Even if home/away doesn't work, why is the option not there? This is beyond frustrating.

4 REPLIES 4

NestJoke
Community Member

Does the home app have decent right ? location all the time 

Tim-
Community Member

It does not show the correct location. The only way the home app changes home/away is if I do it manually. This is the same for all devices in the household.

I have set permissions for 'all the time' location permissions.

Jason101
Community Member

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I have to say my experiences with Home/Away are very random - it's unreliable/unpredictable and therefore unhelpful. I'm reading through the various posts here to see of there is a definitive, step by step trouble-shooter type check list I should go through to get it to work, but nothing found yet. 

Tim-
Community Member

Unfortunately, no. Aside from my home/away issues, I've since added other smart home devices and functions that google home is simply incapable of operating. I moved to Home Assistant, which works flawlessly, but is quite a bit more involved to setup. I happily haven't used google home for months now, but I remember being in your shoes, and I'm sorry I don't have a good answer for you.