cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is geofencing for Android phones only?

Turbo117
Community Member

Have been searching online for info about this, but asking here since a lot of the info I've found is outdated. 

I just bought a new wired, Nest camera and was planning to use "geofencing" (home/away automation) so that I do not receive notifications when my wife and I are at home. 

I thought this is something we could do, but in the Google Home App, I get the message "Location based starter is only available for Android phones." My family all has iPhones.

I'm wondering whether this is a recently added restriction and whether there is any way to accomplish geofencing on IOS phones. This is a basic, minimum requirement for me to keep the camera. Thanks. 

1 Recommended Answer

Got it, thanks for clarifying! That particular feature is a bit different than Home & Away Routines that can adjust your cameras, thermostat, etc based on when someone is home. Are you able to set up Home & Away Routines following these instructions from our help center?

View Recommended Answer in original post

10 REPLIES 10

nickfromgoogle
Googler
Googler

Hey @Turbo117 - Where are you seeing this message? Are you creating a personal or household routine? Home & Away Routines in the Google Home app are available on both iOS and Android.

Thanks for your reply @nickfromgoogle! In the Google Home App on the “Automations” tab:

1. First I select a pre-existing personal routine (e.g., “I’m home”, “Leaving home”)

2. Then I select “Add Starter”

3. One starter option is “When I arrive at or leave a location.” This option, unlike the others, is greyed-out

4. When I tap the greyed-out option described in #3, I get the message stating “Location based starter is only available for Android phones. An Android phone and the Google app with the latest update are required to utilize this starter”

Got it, thanks for clarifying! That particular feature is a bit different than Home & Away Routines that can adjust your cameras, thermostat, etc based on when someone is home. Are you able to set up Home & Away Routines following these instructions from our help center?

Turbo117
Community Member

Thank you @nickfromgoogle!

This worked. Didn't realize I first need to tap on the name of my household and then setup Home & Away routines. Now "Away" and "Home" appear under the "automations" tab and appear to be tied to my phone's GPS. 

Froid
Community Member

Are you able to create a personal routine?  When I attempt to use presence, that starter is greyed out and says it's an Android only feature.  The home and away household routine is fine, but I'm unable to use presence in a personal routine on IOS.

Turbo117
Community Member

That’s true- same for me. Don’t have the ability for a personal routine; only household 

Froid
Community Member

Thank you for the quick response @nickfromgoogle is this possible on IOS? I'm trying to create personal routines for 5 family members under the same home so when they come and go, it'll trigger a virtual switch.  This works great on two Android phones, but it's greyed out on the 3 iPhones.  Thanks.

Hey @Froid - Sorry, I'm not aware of this feature being available on iOS.

Thanks Nick.  Much appreciated.  Hopefully this will be added soon...

r0nw4lk3r
Community Member

Weird. I have an Android phone and have the same problem.