cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripted Automation Orphaned Voice Trigger

crbutcher93
Community Member

I am attempting to create a new scripted automation using a voice trigger that was part of a previous scripted automation.  When I initially created the new scripted automation, I was not prompted that the voice trigger already existed, and the script editor let me save the automation.  I then attempted to use the automation on my Google Home speaker and received a response that it could not determine which routine to use, please use a unique voice trigger.  I realized at this time that I never deactivated the old automation, so I attempted to do that to no avail.  I then attempted to remove the voice trigger from the old automation all together and that also did not work.  I could disable the voice trigger or deactivate the new routine which would prevent the error and allow the old automation to work (once I put the voice trigger back in), but I cannot get it to work in the new voice trigger.  The next step (which in hindsight was a mistake) is I deleted the original routine thinking that would completely clear it out of the system allowing the voice trigger to be used.  Unfortunately, this was not the case, and I am still receiving the error that the Google Home can't determine which routine to use.  At this point because the original routine was deleted, I am stuck as this voice trigger is now 'orphaned' because it is not in use in any routine in my Home but Google believes it is preventing me from using this in any new routine.  Some people may say "just use a different voice trigger" but in this case, my wife is really wanting to use this specific trigger to turn on Christmas lights, so I am trying to figure out what options I have.

3 REPLIES 3

jaketmcclanahan
Community Member

I'm having the same issue here today.

I contacted Google Support and they were unable to find anything that worked.  The only option I've seen that works is moving to a new 'Home'.  I tested by moving one speaker and setting up the automation and that works, but not sure if I want to go through that effort or not 

sven25
Community Member

I have the same problem. Any other ideas (I have lots and lots of devices and do not want to move them to an new home...)