cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Wifi DNS over TLS/HTTPS support?

mwg09
Community Member

Does Nest Wifi or Nest Pro Wifi support encrypted DNS, over TLS or HTTPS? If so, is it automatic or do I need to use a custom setting? If not, is there any plan to support it in the future?

1 Recommended Answer

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @mwg09 

As @olavrb said, this doesn't appear to be something Google/Nest WiFi supports today, and I would also like to see it. For myself, I've done a couple of things: first, since I use Google Chrome as my browser, I've enabled DNS-over-HTTPS resolution in the browser settings. With that enabled, all browser-based DNS resolution uses DoH rather than going through the Google WiFi resolver.

Second, I set up a couple of Raspberry Pi units and installed "cloudflared" to act as a DNS-over-HTTPS resolver on them, and configured my Google WiFi system to point to these two machines on my internal network to handle all DNS resolution for the network. That's something I set up prior to Chrome supporting DoH directly, but I like having it for all of the other DNS traffic on my network. However, setting this up and keeping it updated is not a trivial exercise. So, it's not something I'd recommend to anyone who isn't already comfortable setting up something like a Raspberry Pi single-board computer.

In short, yeah – I want to see this, too, so I can stop having to do it myself. In fact, I'm going to submit "Feedback" from the Google Home app right now to ask for it. I suggest you do the same.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No, neither is currently supported. With no plans of adding support as far as I know.

I don't work for Google.

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @mwg09 

As @olavrb said, this doesn't appear to be something Google/Nest WiFi supports today, and I would also like to see it. For myself, I've done a couple of things: first, since I use Google Chrome as my browser, I've enabled DNS-over-HTTPS resolution in the browser settings. With that enabled, all browser-based DNS resolution uses DoH rather than going through the Google WiFi resolver.

Second, I set up a couple of Raspberry Pi units and installed "cloudflared" to act as a DNS-over-HTTPS resolver on them, and configured my Google WiFi system to point to these two machines on my internal network to handle all DNS resolution for the network. That's something I set up prior to Chrome supporting DoH directly, but I like having it for all of the other DNS traffic on my network. However, setting this up and keeping it updated is not a trivial exercise. So, it's not something I'd recommend to anyone who isn't already comfortable setting up something like a Raspberry Pi single-board computer.

In short, yeah – I want to see this, too, so I can stop having to do it myself. In fact, I'm going to submit "Feedback" from the Google Home app right now to ask for it. I suggest you do the same.