cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Wifi WAN Static IP Not Saved

klavergne
Community Member

I just moved. I had my Nest Wifi set up at my old house, and I'm trying to set it up at my new one. My old house just used DHCP for the WAN settings, but my new ISP requires static IP address. I've followed the instructions on how to change the WAN settings for my Nest Wifi to static IP, but it doesn't work. Once I hit Save on the screen it appears to be saved. I then go back to the main settings and tap WAN settings again, and it says that it reverted back to DHCP. And after doing that I no longer have an Internet connection.

99 REPLIES 99

WJC
Community Member

Using android i can get to the wan ip address and change it  to static ip following the directions ie unplugging network cable and disabling phone data but after entering the static ip address and hitting save the little spinning circle Never stops...even after 10 minutes and no matter what the static ip settings never save???

WJC
Community Member

I finally got it figured out, at least to change my wan to static address and I even changed it back to dhcp and back to static to make sure all is well:) What I did was after doing a reset on the main wifi point followed the directions to disconnect wan cable (lan cable was disconnected) yellow light/no phone data and changed to static ip/subnet and reconnected wan cable and then click save and it worked... hope that helps

Chellochi
Community Member

Same issue. Still no solution 

prees
Community Member

Same issue for me. On Android, pixel 6. Changing from DHCP to PPOE fails to save. Or if 'saves' after leaving page and going back, it's switched back to DHCP and connection does not work. Have tried factory reseting network several times. And rebooting. I can't use PPOE with the router.

frabor
Community Member

same problem here, with a nest  pro, wiull spin forever but will never finish the saving.

ripeart
Community Member

Same issue here, Pixel 7.

tomuky
Community Member

I can't change to Static IP in settings. Says "Oops..." 😑 I'm seeing this problem has been around for years? No fixes?

Device: iPhone 14 Pro

iOS Version: 16.0.1

oops.jpeg

WJC
Community Member
The main problem with mine was it wanted to be set via dhcp with the isp/gateway, (no matter what it wouldn't accept changes and did the same thing) once I got my gateway to give it an ip address via dhcp then it would accept changes to the ip,(as per the included instructions) ...then it permitted e to change it to a static ip address. If you can use your old connection/account one more time to get a dhcp connection then it should let you put in your static ip address and then just hook it to your new gateway once you've changed it to the new static ip address. Hope that helps.

Boulderheads
Community Member

Glad you found a way to keep yours.. Google should pay you a fee for having to figure out how to get a simple setting to save.

Boulderheads
Community Member

Looks like I will be taking mine back. Glad my 7 year old time capsule still lets me change all the settings it supports. Really surprising with this many people needing advanced setting support it’s still an issue. 

I spent several hours trying to suggestions above and it was slow and unproductive. 

jbeck28
Community Member

Having this same issue...

I got in contact with support and they had me restart my modem which then resolved the configuration issue.

After the restart, the router picked up the proper config on its own.

ripeart
Community Member

I bought an Orbi system as a replacement. Was up and running in an hour and I haven't had to look at it since.

Nick20
Community Member

What a **bleep**ing piece of **bleep** this is! I would never buy this product again, let alone recommend it!

I got in contact with support and they had me restart my modem which then resolved the configuration issue.

After the restart, the router picked up the proper config on its own.

elfman8a
Community Member

see my comment from 9-14-2022 11:24pm and from WJC on 11-14-2022 at 8:33am and 2-15-2023 12:54pm. With just the right incantation it can be made to work.

The trick is to have the wan cable disconnected when you go to enter the static IP address to let you get past the check in the app but to reconnect the wan cable right before clicking save.

Rex99
Community Member

Currently having this issue as well.

I am trying to host a server on a game and I require a static ip but I am unable to switch to that as it keeps going back after I leave the page. 

artraveler2213
Community Member

Whoever designed the UI and made the decision that config should be app based only should not only lose his or her job but be prohibited from ever working in tech again.  Oh, and this router is the biggest piece of **bleep** I have ever had the displeasure of working with.  Oh, yeah, I too have this problem in AUGUST of 2013!!!!!

Don’t contest any of your points.. I unplugged my modem and did the setup fresh and it was perfect. After the setup huddles I will say the network has performed well. I run a three node setup and don’t see significant drop anywhere except when I’m outside 20 yards from one of the APs

Yeah, hardware wise, the product is decent.  It's the software/UX that needs serious work.  I think i have it fixed after 4 factory resets...