cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Third party device status after Factory reset

Hal1255
Community Member

If I do a factory reset on my Nest Wifi, will I have to reinstall all my 3rd party devices?

5 REPLIES 5

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @Hal1255 

If you use the same network name (SSID) and network password after the reset, any client configured to connect to that network with that password should reconnect without being reconfigured.

Hal1255
Community Member

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't specific in that I should have explained that I have more than 30 switches and will need to rename them in Google Home after the reset. I have asked Support about how to produce a list of my devices with their MAC addresses, but have had no response. 

I also have a few dozen automations setup, can you suggest a way to get a detailed report of those?

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I guess I'm still missing something, then. If you just reset your Nest WiFi, that shouldn't impact your Google Home – anything you've added to that will still be there, including any devices and automations. The Nest WiFi is just a part of the Google Home like any other device or automation in the Google Home. The only thing you'd lose would be any IP address reservations or any custom network device name customizations, since those are part of the Nest WiFi setup. But, any device names that show up in the Google Home itself shouldn't be impacted by that.

Hal1255
Community Member

I've seen in a few places the following;

If the issue persists, try factory resetting your network. Take note that this will delete all network data.

Also my account data in the Cloud.

Google Support told me the same thing today.

As it now stands they can't resolve my issue and I will need to replace the router.

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Factory reset of the Nest WiFi system will delete networking-related data and any networking-related data stored in the cloud. It should not impact any other aspect of your Google Home instance. It's entirely possible to have a Google Home without a Google/Nest WiFi system in it at all – if you only have a Nest camera or smart speaker, for example, you'd have a Google Home to manage those, even if they are connected to a non-Google/Nest WiFi networking system.