cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices offline in Google Home App

chrisribal
Community Member

Hi,

I'm trying to control my smart home devices from within the Google Home App. My setup runs a home assistant instance on a raspberry pi. I've already setup a custom smart home action linked it with a valid google coud console service account.

My devices are showing up in the Google Home app, but they state to be offline. Although, using the Home Graph Viewer, I can see all my devices are correctly synced and their states are correctly reported.

What am I doing wrong?

1 Recommended Answer

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

When you continue to change states how soon does it reflect on the Home Graph ? Also, for the state reporting there is a parameter “Online” or “Offline”, can once check if you are implementing this parameter properly ?

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Pdshedges
Community Member

There are a few things that could be causing your smart home devices to show up as being offline in the Google Home App, even though they are correctly synced and reporting their states in the Home Graph Viewer.

*Incorrect permissions: Make sure that your Google Cloud Console service account has the correct permissions to access your smart home devices.

*Unsuccessful Authentication: Your integration may not allow 2step auth preventing successful permission
*Network connectivity: Check that your Raspberry Pi and your smart home devices are all connected to the same network, same subnet, and that they have a good internet connection.
*Firewall settings: Make sure that your firewall is not blocking the communication between your Raspberry Pi and the Google Cloud Platform.
*Bugs: There is also a possibility that there is a bug in one of the codes.

Troubleshoot these issues by following these steps if you haven't already 

1. Double check your permissions: Make sure that your Google Cloud Console service account has the following permissions:
* Cloud IoT Core API Admin
* Cloud IoT Core API Device Manager
* Cloud IoT Core API Device Registry Reader
2. Check your network connectivity: Make sure that your Raspberry Pi and your smart home devices are all connected to the same network and that they have a good internet connection. You can try restarting your router and your Raspberry Pi to see if that fixes the problem.
3. Check your firewall settings: Make sure that your firewall is not blocking the communication between your Raspberry Pi and the Google Cloud Platform. You can try temporarily disabling your firewall to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, you will need to configure your firewall to allow traffic to and from the following Google Cloud Platform IP addresses:
* 35.191.0.0/16
* 192.168.1.0/24
4. Update your software: Make sure that you are running the latest versions of the Google Home App and your custom smart home action.

5. Make sure all devices are in the same "home"
6. Contact Google support: If you have tried all of the above and your devices are still showing as offline, you may need to contact Google support for further assistance.

They'll require you to do the following first:

* Restart your Google Home app.
* Restart your Raspberry Pi.
* Try unlinking and relinking your smart home devices in the Google Home app.
* Try restarting your router.
* Try changing the Wi-Fi channel on your router.
* Try moving your Raspberry Pi closer to your router.
* Try using a different power cable for your Raspberry Pi.

If you are still having trouble, please provide more information about your setup, such as the specific smart home devices you are using and the operating system and version of Home Assistant that you are running. I may be able to provide more specific troubleshooting advice. Such as if you're using Google nest mesh routers, sometimes devices thinks they're in a different home due to each node operating on a different channel. When the points switch bands or the devices fall to a certain band, they'll either show up as online or offline depending on the device to point connection. (Check for band overcrowding while inspecting channel utilization)

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert

When you continue to change states how soon does it reflect on the Home Graph ? Also, for the state reporting there is a parameter “Online” or “Offline”, can once check if you are implementing this parameter properly ?

chrisribal
Community Member

Thank you guys for all the tips. I don't know why, but my google home integration suddenly started working a few days after the setup without me touching anything. Now all my devices are controllable via google home and google assistant. I have no idea, why it took so long for google home to actually get the devices correctly.

@sipriyadarshi FYI, the devices were all reported "Online" in Home Graph. Once i changed a device's state, it showed the state change correctly after a few seconds. That's why I was so confused, the Google Home app didn't work.