cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to opt a Nest Hub into Developer Preview for Matter 1.0

lecontr1
Community Member

Hi everyone. I've received the email and checked the release notes regarding the new Matter release. I'm a bit confused regarding how to register my Hub to receive the latest preview build. Do I need to apply for the Developer Preview Program to gain access to the firmware or is there something on the Developer Console I can do to activate my hub? Many thanks!

1 Recommended Answer

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert
  • Firmware and software version update happens automatically based on the access groups and update channel your device is registered to. You can learn more about this from November Release Note
  • To access all Matter 1.0 features on a Nest Hub (2nd gen), make sure the version number is 1.56.324896 or above.

View Recommended Answer in original post

12 REPLIES 12

AlexMara
Community Member

Hi, I have the same problem. Could you already find out how to update the firmware? Thanks!

keruhome
Community Member

Hi, I have the same problem.
I have hardware is ready. Nest Hub(2nd gen), Android smartphone, Google Home mobile app.

I've already connected Nest Hub on mobile app and joined the preview program via Google home mobile app.

I understand that I need to update my Google Nest Hub's firmware version to 1.56.324896 or higher, but I haven't received the update yet. Is it possible to update manually?
Many thanks!

Hi everyone.

I've received Nest Hub's firmware update version 1.56.324896.
We succeed in adding and controll Matter device from Home app and Nest Hub.

We received FW update about 2 weeks after we joined nest hub's preview program. We installed reference code in ESP module which code is based on Lighting app and Lock app.

Thanks.

jasta
Community Member

Same issue for me. The sample app (specifically the all-clusters-app for esp32) works in so far as i can add the device to my Home but it always says communication error afterward. I keep assuming this is related to not having the preview version of Nest Hub 2nd Gen but I'd really love to test and confirm!

Spacefish
Community Member

Same issue here.. My nest hub won´t update to the latest firmware.
Is there any portal where we can enroll our hubs, so they are proper border routers / work with the latest cloud backend for Matter?

lecontr1
Community Member

I noticed that the release notes have changed from having to participate in the Developer Preview to simply opting your Hub into the Preview Program. They've updated the instructions on how to do this as well.
Matter Release Notes | Google Home

jasta
Community Member

I'm guessing Google had to pause the rollout because of issues. Kinda frustrating to have this grand announcement of Matter 1.0 then run into issues converting that enthusiasm to developer activity. Feels more like Matter 0.1 🙂

sipriyadarshi
Solutions Expert
Solutions Expert
  • Firmware and software version update happens automatically based on the access groups and update channel your device is registered to. You can learn more about this from November Release Note
  • To access all Matter 1.0 features on a Nest Hub (2nd gen), make sure the version number is 1.56.324896 or above.

I'm guessing you're meaning that it is expected to take 1+ weeks to install 1.56.324896?  This is reasonable of course on its own, but in the broader context of the Matter 1.0 announcement this means that developers have to wait an indeterminate amount of time until they can actually use it?

Further, it's unclear what exactly this update does in terms of features given that previous versions do still work in so far as Matter devices can be provisioned in Google Home App.  For me at least though, there are two critical bugs I can't tell are fixed by the firmware version I don't yet have:

1. Two devices show up in GHA when using all-clusters-app, bulb and the one I provide a name for.  I expect only the one I named.

2. The device says it's not responding and I can't turn on/off the light in GHA.

jasta
Community Member

I'll file a separate issue, but FWIW, I just got the 1.56.324896 update and the all-clusters-app esp32 example still doesn't work for the two reasons I mentioned above.  It no longer added the other copy as "bulb" though, but rather as "TEST_PRODUCTION".  Otherwise still says no connection and doesn't work to turn on/off the lights.

Spacefish
Community Member

After the release my Android device no longer install the matter play services module and matter is completly unavailable on my device now.. Not sure if the rollout is still hapenning or something broke on my android device / there are left overs from the developer preview which block the release from installing correctly..

LouisLEE
Community Member

After updating to nest hub 2th 1.56.324896 and Google Home App, does it pair normally with the Matter thread device? I still can't pair. There was no problem with pairing before the update.