cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Hub's Ultrasound Sensing Affect My Pets?

DanielRuben
Community Member

I have a special microphone that picks up & transposes ultrasonic frequencies to human ranges and when I placed it near the Hub with ultrasound presence sensing turned on, it picked up a really "loud", really aggressive, throbbing tone.

Since then I've turned it off as I have two cats and they can actually hear ultrasound and I was worried about the effect on them. Recently I moved house and I was wondering why my cat refused to sleep in my room suddenly, preferring another room in the house.

It turns out I think that I had reset the Google nest hub and the ultrasonic presence feature had turned itself back on by default. After I turned it off my cat came back into my room. 

All the same this is not scientifically backed conclusive evidence of anything. It could just be pure coincidence.

Does anybody know if there is any strong evidence that Google's ultrasonic presence tones can negatively affect pets' health and wellbeing?

1 REPLY 1

Natoochtoniket
Community Member

Yes, clearly.  Cats do not like the ultrasound presence sensing.  My dog doesn't like it, either.  Their hearing frequency range includes the frequencies that ultrasound presence sensors use, so they can hear it.  It might not directly affect their health, but it surely makes them uncomfortable.