I have a mix of Home Minis (1st Gen) and Nest Minis (2nd Gen) in my house. For years they have worked great with a few minor hiccups here and there. Over the last month or so, I have noticed I am having many issues with my Home Minis (1st Gen), but the Nest Minis (2nd Gen) do not have the same issues and work fine. Does anyone know if the Home Minis (1st Gen) are being deprecated or phased out? I don't expect the hardware to work forever, I just want to know if I need to replace them with newer models to prevent these issues in the future. Thanks.
Thanks for posting.
Tekdrudge, could you share more details on what's happening with your Google Home Mini? While Google Home Mini (1st gen) is no longer available for purchase on the Google Store, we can still assist you in troubleshooting it. Tell us more we'd love to help.
mickod, have you tried resetting your Home Mini to its default settings? Make sure your device is within 15-20 feet of your router. Also, are you getting any message when connecting your speaker to your network?
Thanks for the response Azarco. Here is the list of odd issues I have been experiencing with my Gen 1 Google Home Minis. Keep in mind these issues only happen with my Gen 1 minis, and not my Gen 2 Nest minis.
1. They will be completely unresponsive after using the trigger word "Hey Google". I know it heard me, because the lights on the device lit up. The lights will keep blinking in a row like the device is trying to process my query but gets stuck, then the lights just stop blinking without doing the task I instructed or responding to the question I asked.
2. The minis will recognize my instructions or queries, but not those of my wife.
3. The Assistant voice I chose will change. I have a male voice, but sometimes the minis will respond in the default female voice.
4. The minis will lose connection with the smart home devices (light bulbs, thermostat, etc), and I have to unplug and replug in the minis for it to work again.
5. When casting audio to the minis after about 20 minutes or so they will just randomly disconnect from the device sending the cast.
There are also other minor issues, but these are some of the bigger ones. I have tried removing them from my Google Home and factory resetting them. I tried making it like they were new devices, but the issues persist. I even completely removed EVERY device from my Google Home and set it up from scratch with a new Home. Like I said before I have not had these issues with the Gen 2 Nest minis. My assumption is they are just old devices and cannot perform as well on the new updates like the newer devices can. Most of these issues have popped up within the last 5 or 6 months. I assume an update that went out to the minis has caused some issues and I am not sure this is something a user can fix. I am willing to see if anyone has any ideas on this and give them a try.
We appreciate all your efforts. Could you please provide your device's cast firmware version?
To check which firmware version you're on, follow these steps:
Just bumping in to make sure that you've seen our responses. I'll be locking this thread if we won't hear back from you again in 24 hours. Feel free to create a new one if you have more questions or have other concerns in the future.
Thanks — we got your form and we've escalated it over to our higher level of support for further review. Please keep an eye on your inbox as someone will get back in touch with you soon.