cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest hub is not playing music via my bluetooth speaker

dx6nxr
Community Member

Hi, yesterday my nest hub updated. After that the bluetooth submenu in nest hub settings appeared (not via the app), but at the same time my speaker connected to google nest hub via bluetooth stopped working. Nest hub sees the connection, confirms that it is connected but plays music via its own speaker. I tried restarting, re-pairing the speaker and nothing works. Would be really great if you could help me 🙂

73 REPLIES 73

I bet that they want to take on the speaker industry, and that this is just an 'exclusive' feature that google have, so they want People to buy their speakers to get the ultimate sound system for your home.. 

dx6nxr
Community Member

But accordingly to the posts in this thread, Google home/nest mini is connecting to Bluetooth speaker without problems, thus it is exclusive problem of next hub 2. gen.

Dazz71
Community Member

Yep, bought my Hub 2 last week, connected to Bluetooth on my Marantz System perfectly right out of the Box, THEN !!!!! the software update happened !!!!! Now i cannot connect to my Marantz System 😞

Does Google even pay attention to these updates/comments?

davetheodorou
Community Member

Finally got everything set up to get this to work and I get the message "Default Speaker could not be set" and it just dies. 

Although it looks like its connected - it doesn't actually work. 

Secada
Community Member

Would be ice to have a reply/fix from Google on this issue?  Having the same problem, everything is set up and re-set up correctly and the feature simply does not work which severely limits the home audio capability of Google Home/Nest.  Need to be able to play audio through an external Bluetooth speaker to extend the audio range and capability of a Google home device, pretty basic feature in 2023.

ChrisB72
Community Member

I think Google have given up on customers in this area. I think there will announcements soon about new products centered around AI, and all their previous devices will be abandoned.

Shmyer
Community Member

Same problem here.

Fuchsia version: 12.20230611.1.67

Software version: 53.110.0.549404370

Chromecast firmware version: 1.70.377722

Seeing all the responses in this thread it seems like Google doesn't care about this major issue. 

I'm still giving them time until November, then I'll return my Nest Hub and get a refund.

WickedEngineer
Community Member

i don't want to be dramatic but a class action sounds reasonable if features that were previously working are dropped or misupdated.

it was the single use case to use the hub as a streaming player with voice commands AND hardware controls

IonutIV
Community Member

After a lot a cursing, because it used to work, I managed to make it work by connecting it to my android TV, which was shutdown and did not connect and then back to Samsung bloototh soundbar (K450). Any other attempt failed (reboot, forgething, repairing) 

ahoy_mateys
Community Member

Having the same issue and had a session with support. I was able to connect various bluetooth speakers to Nest Hub and only speakers with mono output plays audio. When connecting to bluetooth with stereo, audio still comes out of Nest Hub's speaker. 

Darc87
Community Member

I just bought my nest hub today. I was super excited, but this is the second feature I was looking forward to that does not work out of the box.

Bluetooth not working on speaker. Seems like a recent problem.

Recipes not broadcasting to hub from my pixel 8 pro... problem since at least 2021 with no fix. I was hoping this would be my starting point to the Google smart home ecosystem. I am so far dissapointed. Please fix

FL_User
Community Member

Let's be clear. Google knows it is a software issue. They just have not prioritized fixing it. Sucks to suck

Xenithx
Community Member

Just purchased the Nest Hub last night with the intent of using for streaming music to the Acton II speakers on my desk. On setup, pairing to the speakers worked fine with the exception that volume control was split between the Hub and the volume on the speaker. Prompted to apply update and after restart, the Hub will no longer connect to my speakers. It shows as connected to the Acton but plays through the Hub speaker. Doing a factory reset did not fix the problem. "Googling" the problem led me here. This device is useless to me if it cannot connect to my speakers. I'll give it a couple more tries today, but after this I'm returning the device.

WickedEngineer
Community Member

yeah...they **bleep**ed it nice and proper.
waiting for a competent reaction since a felt eternity.

UnhappyNest1
Community Member

same problem here. The Nest 2 gen is connected to my Stanmore II speaker but no sound is coming out.

when I connect to the speaker in the google home app under settings -> audio -> "default audio speaker" then the Stanmore is clearly selected and marked with a blue checkmark. but in the Audio menu it is still the Nest Display that is the audio output.

I have reset, updated, repaired, powered down 20+ times on both the Nest and the Stanmore

Any advice on how to get the Nest to Output audio to the Bluetooth speaker?

Yeah, that's the problem, it cannot play music thru the bluetooth speakers anymore and there's no solution so far. 

Yes, return it for a refund. There us an obvious problem with is device tgat Google do not want to admit to.

Exact same boat here.  Just got a Stanmore II as a Christmas gift.  The Nest Hub says it's connected both through hub's interface itself and the Google Home app.  The Stanmore II is listed as the default speaker in the app for the hub.  All audio only comes through the hub.

Stonehouster
Community Member

Any resolution to this yet? I'm having this issues too. 

NolaGirl504
Community Member

Same issue here. I just bought the Google nest hub because my device is a Google. I have the pixel. I have the Google dongles for my TV and I like how they integrate easily with each other but unfortunately I I can connect my Sony Bluetooth speaker to my hub but no music comes out of it. Sad, sad. Sad because that's one of the main options that I bought the Google hub for also 🫤 thinking of maybe returning the Google hub and maybe switching to the Amazon devices

Julie Gaffney

WayneK
Community Member

Just got a Hub for Xmas and same issue. No sound/music output to a connected bluetooth speaker. A fix would be nice considering the age of this thread. 

Paul27
Community Member

Hey Google....any update plans?

Noah82
Community Member

I am having this issue as well when paired with a Sonos Move. It’s been 6 months with radio silence from Google. 

Ace2222
Community Member

Just got the display hub gen2 and I am having the same issues. Is Google going to fix this or am I going to have to return this ?

ChrisB72
Community Member

Actually, I don't think Google gives a toss about their customers. Be it at their own peril.

WickedEngineer
Community Member

Everybody please enquire with support and refer to this thread.

DimonD
Community Member

Google will you fix this issue!

FearlessSpiff
Community Member

Me too. This was one of my main used features.

niendo
Community Member

I've had the same issue for a while now I'm using a Nest hub 2 and a Q acoustics M20 speaker. I contacted nest support and after a long back and forth they were unable to help and I gave up for a while, but now I want it to work again, thinking of asking to a refund in some way since I bought my nest more than s year ago 

Hentindo
Community Member

It’s 2024 I’m having this issue on a nest hub I received for Xmas. Should I return this item before it’s too late?

Xenithx
Community Member

If, like me, your main intent was to stream music from the hub to Bluetooth speakers, then yes, I would return it before it's too late. I returned mine immediately, unless you see value in its other features.

Noniandmike
Community Member

Absolutely ridiculous!

I just purchased mine yesterday and could not connect to Bluetooth speakers.

Glad I found this group. 

Returning it today. 

Ayman1
Community Member

Infuriating. Unpaired, re-paired, full reset etc, all the stuff mentioned in this thread. Nothing works