cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest mini keeps disconnecting from WiFi

Khotique
Community Member

As the original topic was closed, I'm making a new topic because I still have the problem on my side:
my 2 “Nest Mini” disconnect from Wifi every day! I have to reconnect them every time.
I have already checked everything and performed a factory reset, nothing changes: they disconnect again.

Google: If you can't fix the problem, stop selling this product because it's really a joke to your customers!
Would it be possible to refund my 2 products so that I can go to the concurrent who seem to be better engineers!

(similar thread open @ 2022... and still no resolution... crazy !!! https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Nest-mini-keeps-disconnecting-from-WiFi...)

if this helps in resolving the incident:

I am on a MESH network with 2 AX wifi routers.
The wifi power is optimal.

I have a Google Home Mini (first generation) which has never had this disconnection problem.
The problem is only localized on my 2 nest mini...!

66 REPLIES 66

RicS
Community Member

Same issue. Mine will be because my WAN is droppy or has high latency sometimes. I live in a very remote area and there will be intermittent network outages ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes (microwave link..a tractor goes in the beam path and blocks it) which I can live with, but the Nest mini cannot. 

Please provide a firmware update that fixes the mini to an access point and prevents it thinking the AP is not there when the internet connectivity beyond the AP disappears. This would help greatly. As it stands I am repairing to me Home every single day.

Google please fix this issue and permit an option in the Google home app to force the mini to never disconnect from WiFi and always connect to a known/nominated WiFi access point. Factory reset should clear this setting to the default. 

Let me know when you've done that. Until then, stop pretending to support your customers.

The speaker should usually say if it's not connected to WiFi or the internet connection has gone down. If your mini is disconnected from WiFi, you've probably got the same issue as the rest of us

RicS
Community Member

I get nothing. This behaviour only started when I moved to this address and on this droppy WAN connection. Google, please do as requested. Stop your devices disconnecting from WiFi when end to end internet connectivity is unavailable. Or if you think my unit is defective, send me a new one. 

WiFi connectivity doesn't drop with WAN dropping. When you say the wake word, it'll say either hold on whilst I get connected to WiFi, or I can't reach the internet right now.

If it says it can't reach the internet, it's still connected to the WiFi.

If it says hold on whilst it connects to WiFi, then you're suffering the same bug as everyone else.

RicS
Community Member

I know how WiFi works. What I am asserting is that if the mini can't contact the internet for an extended period it will go looking for another connection. I want Google to give us a setting to allow us to stop that behaviour.

No it doesn't. It will only connect to the network it is set up to, and if it's disconnected then you're suffering the same bug as everybody else.

If you have a different issue, you're better off creating your own thread.

This thread is for the devices randomly disconnecting from WiFi, even in cases of perfect internet service.

RicS
Community Member

Whatever

I don't care just **bleep**ing fix it

Remotearea
Community Member

Same problem it’s been 2 months that i’m having the disconnect issue. Did all the reset possible known to date, works for 1-2 days then back to the problem. Nest mini worked like a charm for the first 6 months and all of a sudden without a change in my setup stops working…

Steverg
Community Member

Same problem. I have Google mesh WiFi with Google fiber Internet. Only thing I've read that anyone has done to "fix" the problem is to schedule a timer to power the faulty mini off and on once each night. I would recommend everyone who subscribes to Google One to send this problem through the Google One support option.

backgroundworke
Community Member

i got the same issue and it started around 2 months ago.

It really sucks and its annoying to re-deploy the nest mini every one or two days...

Before that, it works for the past 5+ years without any issues.

Lukebox
Community Member

I had one first gen model start to do this, then a second(also first gen model). 

I factory reset the second unit, and now it won't connect to wifi at all while setting up using the Home app. 

First device fw: 375114
Second device fw: unknown. Unable to see it in the Home app. 

Josiecv
Community Member

Any updates on whether there might be a fix in the works? I'm very tired of unplugging and replugging every morning. 

Sadly not.

If it keeps going on like this, I'll throw it away soon and rebuild my whole smart home, but then without any Google device...

Khotique
Community Member

I found a solution that works very well!!!
Switch to Alexa !!!!!

are you kidding us google !!

DarranJ
Community Member

I'm having the same issue - Cannot find a WiFi network message and shows as not connected in Google Home. 

Factory reset and the issue happens again. Also changes from a UK accented message to a North American accent..... 

What's happening, no changes to location, router, WiFi, internet supplier. 

Jai2
Community Member

I reached out to Google Home about this and I tried every option they suggested to resolve. Reinstall the device, reboot, reinstall app, change [the previously untouched] router settings, try a mesh, move the device, try with a different router in a different house, review configuration and router firmware with the ISP.

The problem reoccurs. Switching the Nest minis position with a Home mini demonstrates there is nothing wrong with the location and it's exclusive to the Nest Mini.

The responses I got from Google went from not knowing the problem exists (even after providing threads like this, product reviews), to passive aggressive responses and now AI generated messages.

Biggsyboi
Bronze
Bronze

For me, the problem is happening on ALL my Google devices - and ONLY my Google devices. I have been emailing with Google Support for almost a year now, originally it was being blamed on my router being WiFi 6 and therefore not compatible (even though routers are backwards compatible).

Google Support switched to saying they were aware of the issue and working on it, but like I said this was a long time ago now and I just keep being fobbed off when I ask for an update.

Now I was given a case number and when I asked for an update a week ago, they appear to have stopped responding.

BengaliPrince
Community Member

Same issue. Google told me last week that the product is out of warranty. I got it in 2021. So basically it will go to the garbage heap it seems. That’s truly a very short life span for such an amazing device. I am rethinking buying a google assistant. Maybe something else?

Pat64505
Community Member

I have three (3) Google Home Mini's and one (1) Nest Mini running on a Google Nest WiFi AC2200 Mesh with two (2) Routers and one (1) Access Point. The Nest Mini keeps disconnecting and is now losing the setup. This does not happen with my 3 Google Home Mini's and the Access Point. What is the issue with the Nest Mini?

Nobody here seems to know for sure.  I suspect software, as like you, my google home mini hasn't missed a beat since it was set up at least 3 years ago.  

Kyle1315
Community Member

Anyone else noticing a slight improvement?  I don't want to count my chickens, but it's been a week since any of my 3 (nest mini) devices have gone offline on me.  Will report back here if/when that changes, but just seeing if anyone has any similar anecdotal evidence of improvement.  I have 3 devices, 2 are probably going on 4+ years, one is maybe 2 years.  I firmly believe this is software related, not hardware failure.  Wouldn't seem to affect them all so similarly if it was hardware IMO.  

tazwb
Community Member

That happened to me a few weeks back but unfortunately it didn't last.

Kyle1315
Community Member

Ahh rats!  I'll circle back when mine start acting up again.  I was starting to feel a bit optimistic about the possibility of a firmware update or something that might have taken place.   

Well that was short lived... sure enough one of my units went offline overnight.  😞

RicS
Community Member

Yeah mine seems to be sticking around a bit longer and re-pairing it via the Google home app (add device while on the main WiFi network without removing it in Google home first) seems to be a tad easier and less susceptible to errors and failures which were happening all the time before.

Josiecv
Community Member

Mine started working fine for a few weeks, but about 4 days ago, two of them are back to “hold on while I get connected to the internet” and I’ve had to unplug and replug them once a day. The two that are malfunctioning right now are in completely opposite ends of the house and our four others are functioning perfectly. It’s super frustrating.

MeanMelon
Community Member

Have the same problem. Thinking about trashing it.