cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Recipes function seems to have stopped displaying best search results

TheresaKlein
Community Member

So today I was trying to search for "Crustless Spinach Quiche" recipes on my Google home hub. In the past, I have noticed that the search results using recipes on google home don't really match what would come up if you just search for "crustless spinach quiche recipes" in Google. But today it was particular awful. As in not one of the top recipes that would come up in a google search was actually listed in the recipes function in Google Home.  The top recipe for Crustless Spinach Quiche if you search google directly in your browser is from AllRecipes.com, with olther popular websites like Taste of Home, and The Stay At Home Chef following. Instead I got recipes from "Nutrifact.com" which is not even a cooking website. 
What happened? Did Google decide to limit the display to only websites that *paid* to be shown on Google Home? Is this just all now sponsored content and I can't even get major cooking websites to show up on Recipes? 
Thanks Google for UTTERLY DESTROYING the utility of the MAIN REASON I purchased a Google Home device in the first place. If I can't actually get to recipes from actual cooking websites that I actually want to view, then I will throw your stupid piece of crap in the trash and go back to printing out recipes from my desktop, which also wastes paper, you assholes. Way to ruin a struggling product. Have fun trying to out compete other devices when you won't even show your user the content they can get by doing a **bleep** google search. Assholes! 

2 REPLIES 2

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@TheresaKlein 

I've never tried the so-called "recipes function".

Not knowing, I just tried "Hey Google, show recipes for Crustless Spinach Quiche" on one of our Nest Hubs, and it responded "I don't know but I found these results on search", and then listed results from allrecipess.com and tasteofhome.com, with some suggested searches, followed by results from thestayathomechef.com and quiltingboard.com. These were straight search results

After searching Google Nest Help and finding https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7309433, I instead tried "Hey Google, find me a Crustless Spinach Quiche recipe", and got results from Nutrium, FatSecret, a Chinese site, FatSecret Osterreich, BigOven, BeeKay Nutrition, etc., and when I selected one, I got controls at the bottom ("Start cooking", "Add to cookbook", etc.).

Curious.

TheresaKlein
Community Member

Exactly. You get good results via a straight up google search but the "Recipe" feature, which has the controls in it, only displays results from weird obscure websites. The problem is, most recipe web pages have a lot of text and ads that block getting to the actual recipe, so the "Recipes" utility makes it easy to just read the recipe and start cooking. It used to work! Now all of a sudden all I get with "Recipes" is weird websites like Nutrium. The fact that that obscure Chinese website is even in there is bizarre.