cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Major security issue: Nest Home and devices deleted from Nest and Google Home

peter12
Community Member

My thermostat, cameras and smoke alarm were deleted from the Nest App and Google Home app. I revoked access for an unrelated device in the home just prior to this (e.g. a Samsung TV) but find it hard to believe that could cause this issue. The biggest issue I have is that there is no record available within Google or Nest to see who deactivated my home or when. I used the chat function to talk with support staff and they said "

That is the same reason, you are getting the option to make a new home as well, because someone may have deleted your old home structure and removed the devicesas well. 

I think Nest needs to be brought fully within Google as at the moment this is a major security issue and it is  inconceivable that there is no way to find out who deleted the devices from my account and when.  I rely on the cameras to view my home when away and now I cannot access them until I get home and reinstall everything. Strangely when I go back into Nest it says that the old Home is there but it does not let me access it.

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Whilst I agree it's not good that there is no granular access levels in the Google Home app like we used to have in the Nest app, this isn't a security issue. Every account you invite to your home gets the same level of access as you, so they can add and remove devices, remove you from the home, even delete the home. When the home gets deleted that's irrecoverable, so there is no place to log who did that in Google Home.

I too want to see access levels brought back, so I’d encourage you to also send this feedback directly to Google. Short term I'd suggest it's best to invest your time in adding your devices back and not add home members who you do not trust to not do those destructive actions.

peter12
Community Member

Hi David, to know whether another account I added had deleted my Home requires that your database records show who deleted it and when. Given that you can not provide this I don't really understand your comment. I have no choice but to add it back so it is hardly the best investment of time simply what's necessary to get it working again.

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

What I mean is even if Google have that information somewhere, there is no process for that. Assuming it is recorded somewhere in Google's systems, it's not made user accessible in the app and Google don't have a process to give you that information. Hence I suggested your time is probably better spent adding your home and devices back to the app.

For clarity, I don't work for Google.