cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Cameras wifi and settings

seanjadwin
Community Member

I have three indoor cameras and four outdoor cameras.  I have the four outdoor with power full time and the in door are battery powered.  I had all nest cameras in my other home and the nest app was great.  I am having a couple different issues.  The first is that all of the cameras seem to lose signal many many times per day.  I figured it was my internet so I added the Eero mesh system but that did nothing to help at all.  I have heard that I may need to switch from my 5g to my 2.4g but I have yet to find that setting in any of my cameras.  The other issue is that I have not been able to find the ways to build zones in my outdoor cameras to keep from getting so many notifications from people walking down my street. 

2 REPLIES 2

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@seanjadwin 

I can't offer any advice on why your 2nd gen cameras are dropping offline. Our 2nd gen battery camera--plugged in with the optional power cable--works fine. Anecdotally, it seems to me that many customers in this forum who report difficulties with their cameras going offline have mesh internet systems.

Google Nest does not provide a way to force its cameras to connect on 2.4 GHz. Ours pick one or the other automatically, and all seem to do fine.

To set up activity zones for 2nd gen cameras in the Google Home app, go to Settings | Events | Seen events:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9207697?hl=en&sjid=2976527760439828199-NC#zippy=%2Ccrea...

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  Just to be clear  you are still using all the Gen 1 cameras that you had before just in a new location, Correct?  And you are still using the NEST app?

I have a combination of gen 1 and gen 2 cameras and I have also had the EERO routers for about 2 years and everything works fine.   There is no way to set the routers to force a device to the 2.4Ghz network.  I have wanted this feature but to the best of my knowledge  none of the MESH routers on the market do allow that.

But honestly I don't think that is the issue.

My cameras will occasionally go off line but if they do it is only for about a minute and not every day.  And never all a once.

If you want I can escalate this to a  nest tech person but I'm not sure it will be worth your time.    

I'm scratching my head here on this one.   What is the up/down speed on your internet?

As a trouble shooting test how about try turning off all then indoor cams for a few hours and see how the outdoor cameras behave?

How do you see them going offline?   Is it because you have the  NEST AWARE PLUS and  you see gaps in the 24/7 recording?