cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Can’t add a second nest cam to my current home app

Nmaller
Community Member

We have a nest cam indoor that we bought a couple years ago (works through the nest app). Bought a google cam (indoor wired) a few days ago to add the home. Can’t seem to setup through the Home app. I get that ‘can’t find assisting device error’. So tried removing the old camera, and then adding the new one. But then I can’t add the old one back. There’s got to be a way to have both cameras in the same ‘home’ in the app right?

5 REPLIES 5

p3n4ng4
Community Member

The new cameras are designed to retrieve your WiFi name and password from the products already present, with the goal of saving your time and work so you don't have to type in the password yourself. Unfortunately, this does not work flawlessly when the other devices are not active.
During the add process, there comes a time when you confirm that it should start connecting, at which point you should make sure that your other Nest Devices (=supporting)
is active. With a camera you walk past or ask for a video stream, with a doorbell you ring, with a nest protect you press the button so it does a self-test (which you can cancel if you want, it is then active enough).

Nmaller
Community Member

Thanks! Tried that and still can’t get passed the connecting to assisting device stage 

p3n4ng4
Community Member

Create a new home and try. When the app asks if you have any other devices you say no.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Nmaller 

Google Nest's latest response (on March 3) on the months-long "assisting device" errors was: " It's under review at this time."

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Nest-cam-battery-asks-for-assisting-dev...

This thread has over 160 replies:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/quot-Can-t-connect-to-assisting-device-...

Nmaller
Community Member

Ended up creating a new home. Adding the new camera. Moving over all my other devices. Deleting the old camera. Deleting the old home. And then adding back the old camera…. Fun times lol.