cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest/Google Outdoor Camera timelapse?

MikeJr
Community Member

Alright I have my Nest or Google outdoor battery camera, connected to constant power, and I have the full nest package - 60 days of recording. 

Now I get that google messed up big time with not being able to view the camera on your computer with a emulator now, and the camera does not show up on the nest website. Only my T-Stat. 

Is there a way to create a time lapse of the recorded video? 
Even somehow get the video on my PC.

My cheap $60 amazon camera can do this with their clunky app, why can't google or nest, or whatever the heck its called now, cant get a grip. 

6 REPLIES 6

Rubes
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

You would have to save/download multiple clips and then put them together in a third party video editing software to create a type of timelapse. Basically maximum inconvenience.

nonesuch
Community Member

Link to amazon camera, please? 🙂

nonesuch
Community Member

Trying an emulator was my next step. Are you telling me that this doesn't work? I read that the Mac mini can run apps as long as it has an M1 chip. I wonder if anyone has tried that? My 2012 Mac mini is getting long in the tooth... would be nice to know if an upgrade could solve this problem, too. Two birds, one stone.

Casey_Cameron
Community Member

I'm researching this same thing and found your question.  I'm not at home so I can't try it, but it seems like you can do it through the Nest website (not app).  To get your outdoor cameras onto Nest looks like you need to plug them into your computer by USB to set them up (Nest.com>Settings>Add Product).  So when I get home I need to see if the charging cable that came with my camera is a cord and a USB charger, or if it's all a single unit.

Down towards the bottom here they talk about timelapse.
https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9207572?hl=en#zippy=%2Cmake-a-timelapse

Nope... that doesn't do anything:/ I plugged in the camera and nothing happened. There is no home icon to click on. I did find an article from last September that said Google will release a web app sometime in 2022, but nothing yet:/ 

Drat, you're right!  I finally sat down and plugged my camera into with the USB cable.  Nothing at all.  The website doesn't see it and tells me to click a button that doesn't exist. No Nest App to click on.

On my phone in the Nest App, scanning the QR Code tells me I should install the Google Home App.  Trying to add it manually to Nest App using the numbers just dead-ends and doesn't let me proceed.  Super frustrating.