cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Wired Camera with Floodlight Wireless Network Change

jaxisland7575
Community Member

I have created a new SSID from my existing router to connect all my Nest devices to. I am unsure how to change the wireless network.

I have removed it from the Google Home app, used the 6-digit code to add it back into the app but it used the default wireless connection. How do I choose a new network during the setup process?

4 REPLIES 4

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@jaxisland7575 

Google Nest does not make it easy to change Wi-Fi settings. That's why they recommend, when getting a new router/modem, they recommend setting the network name (SSID) and password to the same values used on your old router/modem.

Here are Google Nest's instructions for updating Wi-Fi settings for the newer cameras. You have to remove the device and make sure it does a factory reset:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9223711?hl=en#zippy=%2Cuse-the-google-home-app

Is your phone on the new Wi-Fi network with the new SSID?

jaxisland7575
Community Member

Its not a new router, its just a new network off my existing one to segregate my Nest devices from my other home devices.

My phone that I am using to set it up is not on the new network.

@jaxisland7575 

All of the devices in a Google Nest "home" have to be in the same Wi-Fi network.  Maybe that means that when you're signed onto the Google Home app to set up Google Nest devices, you should be logged onto the same Wi-Fi network as those devices.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7360025?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=0

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Speakers-and-Displays/Different-Wifi-s/m-p/66989

I think (as indicated in my earlier Google Nest Help link) you have to make sure a factory reset occurred on your floodlight camera in order to remove the previous Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password, because Google Nest--on its newer cameras--has no facility for UPDATING these settings on the camera. By the way, when you do get to the point of adding it back in, Google Nest now tries to get the Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password from another Google Nest device in the same "home"--an "assisting device"--and there are sometimes problems with this. (Search for "assisting device" in this forum and you'll see MANY postings.)

jaxisland7575
Community Member

So seeing issues with the searching for other devices and failing this is the process I followed to get everything connected. I did them in this order with the intention to get other devices on the new network before trying to do the cameras.

Nest Thermostat:

1. On the physical thermostat itself I opened up the settings and moved it to the new network I wanted using the dial itself.

2. Once connected I checked my router to make sure the thermostat had the correct IP address on the isolated network.

Nest Connect (Yale Lock):

1. Opened the Nest app

2. Opened the settings in the top right

3. Selected Nest Connect

4. Selected Wi-Fi connection

5. Selected the new network and waiting for the successful connection.

6. Verified in my router the IP address was correct.

Nest Hello Doorbell:

1. Opened the Nest app

2. Opened the settings in the top right

3. Selected the door camera

4. Selected Wi-Fi connection

5. Selected the new network and verified it connected

6. Verified in the router that it was using the correct IP address.

Nest Outdoor Wired Camera with Floodlights (x2):

1. Did not have QR code so had to use the setup code.

2. To get the setup code I disconnected the small wire from the base to the moveable camera head, underneath that plug there is a 6-digit code and wrote that down.

3. I plugged the camera back in and let it power up.

4. In the Google Home app (aka: app), I clicked the camera, used the cog wheel to open the settings, then selected remove device. WARNING: THIS WILL DELETE ALL VIDEO HISTORY!!! Make sure you save off any videos before removing the device.

5. Once the device was removed from the app I went to the camera, pulled the head unit off and used the small round reset button on the back to do a factory reset. I held the button down until the LED on the front turned solid white then released.

6. While the camera was resetting I went onto my phone that I was using the app on and forgot the network I was connected to and connected to the network I wanted the camera to be on.

7. Once the camera was back online after resetting I used the app to add a new device and went through the steps using the 6-digit code to get that camera added back in.

8. Once the camera was up I verified in my router that the camera had the correct IP address.

9. I duplicated these steps on the second camera.

10. At the end I forgot the new network on my phone and connected it back to the regular network.

I now have everything on the IoT network with the correct IPs, thanks for the info it helped me go in the right direction.