cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest doorbell failure ( 3 times )

mksweeney
Community Member

My partner bought a Google Nest Doorbell with a battery for our house in May. It work fine for 6 weeks and then went offline and couldn't be reconnected. I tried every troubleshooting option available, but then the battery stopped working and it couldn't work at all. But it was still under warranty so we got a replacement. 

The replacement lasted 3 days before the same issue happened again. First I get a notification that the doorbell is Offline, then I try to troubleshoot it with tech support ( for this device I spent about 5 hours over several days with tech support ), do a factory reset and nothing. It will connect to my wifi network but there's no video. 

So I get another replacement (device number 3). Exactly the same thing happens. After 3 days the device goes offline, fails to respond to troubleshooting and then stops showing video. During one of the many tech support calls for this one I find out that Google Nest Doorbells only work on 2.4ghz wifi networks (which they don't say in the marketing material, they say it can also work on 5ghz networks) and that they only work within 25 feet of the router. My wireless battery powered doorbell is on my gate 30 feet from my house because I can't get a wired doorbell that far. That is also not a tech spec listed on the website, had it been we would have gone with a competitor. 

After 12 plus hours of customer service and tech support I learned a couple things. There is no way to get a refund for the doorbell, which is essentially an expensive paperweight. I can only get three replacements under the warranty, so if the next one fails I have essentially donated money to Google. There is no way to speak to a representative in the United States, I can only get in touch with random tech support people in the Philippines who don't have any actual ability to help beyond reading from a script ( which is not their fault, just a greedy billion dollar company doing what it does ). All I want is to get rid of this device that keeps failing and get a refund but I can't figure out how to talk to someone who can make that happen. I've had multiple customer service reps hang up on me, they closed out pending cases without resolving the issues or telling me they were closing things out, the reps have continuously treated me like garbage. This is extraordinarily horrible customer service. It's not surprising but its hard to deal with. 

40 REPLIES 40

Hardy27
Community Member

What routers are you guys using? I connected my parents doorbell to a nest wifi and so far live video is working. Their router is a Nokia beacon 6 so I'm thinking now there may be compatibility issues. Not so much hardware issues