cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Notification sound/tone when using iPhone

RLinNJ
Community Member

Using iPhone 12, Google Home Assistant, and Nest outdoor camera.

Can the notification sounds/tone be changed from the standard iPhone notification sound? Either in the Google application or iPhone settings.

(For example, on the same iPhone 12, the Ring notification is a distinctive chime)

Can the Nest application be used instead, and can it change the sound?

Thanks for the help.

9 REPLIES 9

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I have never found a way to change the sounds but would love to be able to.  I think a lot of people have asked for this.  But best thing you can do is go into the Google Home app and use the FEEDBACK button to submit your request.  The more of us that do that the more likely it might rise to the top of the request list.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@RLinNJ 

The newer cameras and doorbells can only receive notifications through the Google Home app, but the Google Nest app does not provide any ring notification options either, though customers keep asking for it.

RLinNJ
Community Member

Thanks.   I appreciate the reply.

ebea
Community Member

I noticed, that after I upgraded IOS to version 17.0, the existing previous sounds changed. So something tells me, out from that, that the sounds are controlled in iPhone. But so far, I have also not been able to find a way to change sound, or increase the level of sound. 

It's a frustrating things, when it comes to all Googles Cameras, including those on Doorbell, too 😡

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hello,  I'm an end user like you and I also was taken by surprise on this sound change.   However this can't be blamed on Google.  This is all Apple's doing.   Apple alert sounds for 3rd party apps have been limited for years to only one sound. And for the most part the sound they had was okay and very specific.  But all 3rd party apps use that sound.   

Please call Apple's tech support and complain about this change.  I did and told the person that I rely on this sound to wake me in the middle of the night if a door or window opens.  And this new sound is so quite  that it will never wake me up.  She understood and said she would escalate. 

Check out this article from 9 to 5 Mac....

https://9to5mac.com/2023/09/19/ios-17-iphone-app-notification-sound/

ebea
Community Member

It brought a bit (a lot) of clarification into this. And also about the question to change sounds from 3rd party App's.
So thanks for bringing this info 😉

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

Oddly enough, though, Apple did NOT change the notification sound or its volume in the corresponding watchOS 10 update for the Apple Watch.

Maybe because they knew, it would be very difficult to hear, if they have used same low level sound, as for iPhone.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Mplscustomer that is interesting to hear about the Apple Watch.   I don't have one so I would not catch that.

When I spoke the level 2 tech support person at Apple she was actually very surprised that there was no way to change the sound for 3rd party apps.    Also interesting to note that some 3rd party apps have their own sound built into them and they are immune from this new problem.    For me my Liftmaster App still makes it's own sound if the garage door is left open.  And my old Logitech Circle 2 app (yes I'm still running some of the cams, LOL) still make it's own sound when it detects motion.  All you can do is go into the app and go into settings and see if they offer a sound choice.  But from what I can tell 90% of 3rd party apps just use the default sound that Apple allows.