cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

UPS USPS FedEx scanners cause doorbell camera to go offline

Bobbystyles
Community Member

When I get a package delivery from UPS, USPS, or FedEx and they ring my nest doorbell and have their scanner in the hand as they ring, it causes my camera to go offline. The chime does not ring and the camera reboots. Does anyone else have this problem?

2 REPLIES 2

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Bobbystyles 

Your post indicates the Nest app but the 2nd gen Google Nest Doorbell, which gets installed in the Google Home app only.

If you actually have the older Google Nest Hello Doorbell, you may be experiencing the same defect that's affected hundreds of customers. Once the doorbell is a year or two old (past warranty), the internal battery fails and the doorbell goes offline for a minute whenever the doorbell button is pressed. This has now happened in succession to all three of our Nest Hello doorbells. Since the internal battery's purpose is to provide power to the doorbell during the instant when the doorbell button is pressed and power is diverted to ring the indoor doorbell chime, the workaround for this issue is to turn off the "Indoor chime" option and rely instead on "Visitor announcements" on your Nest Hubs or Nest Minis.  That's what we've been doing for over a year now.

This very long thread on the subject has over 1,000 replies and has long been locked against further replies:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Nest-Hello-Doorbell-cuts-out-when-butto...

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I think MplsCustomer is correct.  It is extremely unlikely that it is their scanners causing it to go off line.   It sounds like the well known battery issue.  If you just go outside and ring your door bell I'm guessing it will also go off line as well. 

It could also be the batter issue in colder climate.   Check out this link and see if it sound like something you might be experiencing....

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/11830989?hl=en#:~:text=Charge%20your%20battery%20indoor...