cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Chromcast Shutting Off While Inactive

MintChoco484
Community Member

I leave my TV on so my dog has background noise when I leave the house. Recently when I come home, the TV is off and I suspect it's because the Chromcast has been "inactive" for 2-3+ hours. My settings haven't changed and it's still set to be on for at least 8 hours before shutting off. So far each time it's been while playing YouTube TV, so I'm not sure if it would happen on Spotify, YouTube. I've done a restart as well and it still happens.

2 Recommended AnswerS

kelanfromgoogle
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience. Our team is aware of this issue and is actively investigating to find a fix. In the meantime, if you wish to prevent your Chromecast from powering off due to inactivity you can navigate to Settings > Developer options > Stay awake and toggle that option.

To enable developer options on your Chromecast with Google TV navigate to your device settings > System >  About > Android TV OS build, and then press the Select button on the remote about 7 times. This process will enable the developer options on your device.

Please stay tuned to the community forum, we will communicate as soon as a fix is identified and on the way.

Thank you,
Kelan

View Recommended Answer in original post

kelanfromgoogle

Hi all,

I want to apologize for the frustration and provide an update for this issue — our teams have identified a fix and are working to include it as part of a future software rollout. Please continue to keep an eye on this thread for updates. We’re aware of the impact to all of you and I’ll be monitoring the conversation to keep the teams informed of the feedback.

As we wait for the software update, here are the steps for a suggested workaround. While not a fix, it does prevent your Chromecast from powering off due to inactivity:

• Navigate to Setting>  Developer options > Stay awake and toggle that option.
  • To enable developer options on your Chromecast with Google TV, navigate to your device settings > System >  About > Android TV OS build. Then press the Select button on the remote about 7 times. This process will enable developer options on your device.

Thank you for your patience, I’ll be back as soon as there’s more news to share.

View Recommended Answer in original post

254 REPLIES 254

GinXeng
Community Member

Getting ready for a action lawsuit, their "Fix" is going to ruin my devices with screen burn in. 

dypdyp
Community Member

Well, the default Home Screen still rotates so not sure screen burn in is really going to be an issue.  Just want it to work the way it used to.

Zreftrod
Community Member

@GinXeng Might be the silliest comment yet. Let's stick with the issues that apply. If you decide to take steps to force your devices to stay on then the rest is on you. Easy fix. Turn your devices off.

dypdyp
Community Member

The issue is that having your device is a feature many users want to take advantage of and part of the reason I purchased Chromecast so I can have photos rotating.  Turning it off doesn't fix the issue but just ignoring it.

jatphd
Community Member

Bottom line, many of us purchased the device specifically for its ability to run slideshows in ambient mode.  I used this to create a large format photo frame which I recessed in my wall. 

Our large format digital frames were the envy of many and we proudly recommended the device to many.  Now, in a very boneheaded way, google broke the device on its recent upgrade.  They have also ignored complaints from their customers to fix what is a very simple SW fix.  I liked the Chromecast device when it functioned as advertised.  I am deeply disappointed in customer service at Google.  Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Roku all put Google to shame!

Zreftrod
Community Member

My guess is that someone screwed something else up in the code that is indirectly causing this problem. They either haven't found the problem yet or it's part of a more complicated situation that doesn't have priority. If it really was a simple isolated fix they'd have done it. 

Not excusing it, this drove me nuts thinking I'm missing some obvious setting, but the likely explanation. 

Zreftrod
Community Member

Yup, I'm with you. My reply is to the silly comment above from GinXeng wanting an "action lawsuit" because his devices will be ruined. I just want the problem fixed.

GinXeng
Community Member

Yours might be even sillier, so turning off the device and not using it instead is your solution? Should probably go work at google with that thought process. 

Spectre84
Community Member

I leave my TV on so my dog has background noise when I leave the house. Recently when I come home, the TV is off and I suspect it's because the Chromcast has been "inactive" for 2-3+ hours. My settings haven't changed and it's still set to be on for at least 8 hours before shutting off. So far each time it's been while playing YouTube TV, so I'm not sure if it would happen on Spotify, YouTube. I've done a restart as well and it still happens.

-Orignal post https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Chromecast/Chromcast-Shutting-Off-While-Inactive/m-p/469236/e...

Kelanfromgoogles' answer is unacceptable and flagged the ticket incorrectly as "Answered" 

Been an issue for over 6 months now, staff just keep telling people to place their devices into dev mode and then close the topic, f***king ridiculous.

This is a slap in the face to Google TV users. And google phone support is so uselessly unaware. But I think that multiple peolle calling in and going thru their troubleshooting steps (and NOT factory resetting the device but stating that you did) would escalate the issue. I'm doing this now

I choked down the vomit, and honestly did when they asked me to. The reason I choked down the vomit? Cuz I already had as I assumed it was tied to a power saving feature offered through my local utility. So mine has actually impacted through 2 resets. Though yes I know a lot are doing exactly what you said

jatphd
Community Member

as explained in original thread before being lied to by google that the problem is fixed...  Was using chromecast for 27" digital frame, using slideshow in ambient mode.  Worked fine until Google decided approximately 3 months ago to do a SW update and cause ambient mode to shut off after 4 hours even in never off mode.  Not rocket science, google. Stand behind your product and fix this!  With 55 million devices sold and 35% market share seems like stupid to ignore your customers and destroy your market.  Of course, $1B in potential damages is also nothing to sneeze at...

Spectre84
Community Member

oh yeah, and so my next thread will be asking who to contact for the damaged screen due to the screen burn that their own suggestion caused

I'm getting ready for a class action lawsuit

kelanfromgoogle

Hi everyone,

I’m merging this thread back with the original. Splitting a thread about the same issue makes it harder for folks to follow the conversation and to communicate official updates when more information is available to share.

A Recommended Answer does not mean an issue is necessarily closed or fixed. They are intended to help make the most accurate information in a thread visible to those encountering the same behavior or have the same question. These answers can come from any community member and can be troubleshooting steps, suggested workarounds, or confirmation that a fix is on the way.

I understand the frustration, but to reiterate - our team is aware of this issue and is actively investigating. I will be sure to communicate as soon as a fix is on the way.

In the meantime, if you wish to prevent your Chromecast from powering off due to inactivity you can perform the previously suggested workaround by navigating to Settings > Developer options > Stay awake and toggle that option.

Thank you,
Kelan

have you been monitoring the comments in this thread?  if so, you will know that this does not work to keep Ambient Mode in stay awake!  Several people have affirmed that slideshows shut down even when set to never turn off AND in stay awake mode in the developer options.  Maybe google needs to spend more time reading threads and less time merging threads?  Hopefully the engineers who have not been able to figure out how to patch the SW following their upgrade are more aware of the damage they have wrought.  That said, it's been months with still no SW fix.  So maybe they are not?!

@kelanfromgoogle As has been requested REMOVE THE FLAG ON THIS THREAD THAT INDICATES IT HAS BEEN ANSWERED/RESOLVED!

What has been suggested is at best a workaround for only some users. IT IS NOT A SOLUTION TO THE ISSUE!

Google is causing the confusing by flaging threads as Answered when they are NOT!

It has been 6 months and NO ONE have provided any updates that actually contain worthwhile information. Google spent the first 5 months telling users NOT to put their devices in developer mode and the last most telling users to put the device in developer mode. Clearly you want users to do this so you can claim the issue is resolved. 

You say "our team is aware of this issue and is actively investigating" if this is in fact the case then why does my support case state it has not been updated in over 4 weeks. I continually request updates and no one replyies. 

If you can't fix it then roll back to pre-update and maybe actually test your software before you release it. 

I have given up. I will replace the Chromecast on the TV I use for photo slideshows with an Apple TV. I have Developer Options enabled. It's frustrating to put it back into ambient mode every 4 hours. I don't need the TV displaying the Home Screen for hours if I am away. I will move away from all Google products now. The bonus is I won't need all that space on Google for my photos that I pay extra for. That will help pay for the new AppleTV. The lack of action on this is ridiculous at this point.

jatphd
Community Member

reminds me of the seinfeld episode.  paraphrasing: google can take reservations for cars but not hold the cars...?

Chook71
Community Member

If anyone wanted more evidence that Google ARE NOT LOOKING AT THIS ISSUE, here you go. 

I had originally submitted a support case 2-3139000033754 back in March/April in regards to this issue. Provided Google a very detailed breakdown of the testing I had done and the results. Provided them all the device and software/firmware information etc. The last update I received was in early July stating they were looking at it and to put the device in developer mode. 

My original support case disappeared and a new one appeared, 3-8477000035092 but still under Google Chromecast. I have been chasing google to advise why my original case appears to have been closed and/or is this new case a replacement, no response. 

Today I received an email from Chromecase Support in regards to this new case number stating: 

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having an issue with your Google Nest speakers. I know you've also tried a series of steps trying to resolve this. Could you please list down all the following info?

• Google Nest speakers affected
    Nest cameras connected to the same Wi-Fi network
    Cast firmware versions of the speakers
    Make and model of the set up device (phone)
    Home app version

Seriously WTF!!!!!!!!!

The truely ironic thing is out of all the Google product I own the Google Nest speakers are the only ones I don't have an issue with. 

Clearly Google are not looking at this issue they have considered telling people to put these devices in developer mode is a Solution not a work around (that doesn't actually work in all cases).

jatphd
Community Member

i had similar experience with my support case and admire your diligence and perseverance.  i gave up!  once a fan of google, they have lost me.

the_mermae
Community Member

I don't understand why this still isn't fixed? I leave the TV on for ambient mode during parties of for the dog when I go out. This severely impacts the usefulness of this product.

I think the simple answer is that Google don't give a sh!t about their customers pure and simple. 

kookatron
Community Member

How about we all just start leaving one star reviews on Amazon and other shopping sites? 

Google just went in and broke my device and left it that way. That’s BS. Everyone post your reviews here. 

Chook71
Community Member

Already started leaving honest reviews. 

i.e. The device was working perfectly until Google released a software update in March/April and broke the device. Google refuses to resolve the issue.

Their only response has been to put the device in developer mode with Google themselves state is unsupported and does not resolve the issue for most users. 

This is absolutley pathetic customer service.

BigHammy
Community Member

@Kimy looking for answers. You can see users are extremely frustrated with Google and their support, here and with Fi and other devices & services. 

How long does it take for engineers to gather data that thousands of users have already given you and is readily available to you by shared logs?

Between Google Fi, Nest and Chromecast I have to say I am not inclined to purchase or recommend your products to anyone. Problem is, it's just not me. 

kelanfromgoogle

Hi all,

I want to apologize for the frustration and provide an update for this issue — our teams have identified a fix and are working to include it as part of a future software rollout. Please continue to keep an eye on this thread for updates. We’re aware of the impact to all of you and I’ll be monitoring the conversation to keep the teams informed of the feedback.

As we wait for the software update, here are the steps for a suggested workaround. While not a fix, it does prevent your Chromecast from powering off due to inactivity:

• Navigate to Setting>  Developer options > Stay awake and toggle that option.
  • To enable developer options on your Chromecast with Google TV, navigate to your device settings > System >  About > Android TV OS build. Then press the Select button on the remote about 7 times. This process will enable developer options on your device.

Thank you for your patience, I’ll be back as soon as there’s more news to share.

@kelanfromgoogle 

Remove the "recommended answer" flag from this post. 

What you have provided in NOT and answer and DOES NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE

If you had actually been "monitoring" this post as you say you would know that. 

Google to date have provided exactly zero support for this issue. 

Combine this complete lack of support with similar cases with other products that have gone unresolved from anywhere from months to years and there is a clear pattern, Google will sell you a product, cause issues with the product, fail to support the product, refuse to refund the product, produce an new version of the product, expect customers to buy the new product to resolve their issue. 

I have personally submitted a support case which Google has closed. I have asked for the reasons why as the issue still exists and Google refuse to respond. 

I will be lodging a complaint with The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) as Google is knowingly selling a faulty product. A fault that Google themselves caused and has failed to resolve. The only suggestion they have offered is to put the device into a mode that Google themselves state is not recommended nor supported. It also doesn't fix the issue. I would recommend anyone else having this and/or other support issues with Google who are in Australia do the same thing. 

jatphd
Community Member

For those in the USA, please file complaints with your State:  https://www.usa.gov/state-consumer
Additionally, many counties have their own Consumer Protection offices. 

Spectre84
Community Member

lol, how long til that gets removed

I don't know how I'm missing it but I can't find developer options in my settings?

It's hidden by default. You have to unhide it by doing the following:

Navigate to your device settings > System > About > Android TV OS build, and then press the Select button on the remote about 7 times. This process will enable the developer options on your device.

Make sure you on the OS Build in the menu. Pressing the center button on the remote won't appear to do anything but just press it 7+ times over quickly and then go back to your settings and developer mode will be in the list.

If you have an Android phone, you can enable this the same way by quickly tapping on "OS Build" 7+ times.

Hi Kelan, 

Thanks for your answer.

I noticed that this keeps the Chromecast device on but it still goes off from Ambient mode to the home screen after 4 hours. Is there any workaround to go back to ambient mode without any manual intervention?

Nope, this is the reason why everyone is upset, there is no real fix at the moment.

Can you provide status of update?

Ok so I have another update. 

After talking with @madebygoogle on Twitter (they may call it harassing) questioning why each one of my support cases had been closed yet no resolution had been provided I today got an email from Google support offering to assist with a warranty replacement. They requested pretty much all the information that I had previously supplied, which I have provided. 

I have also questioned how they believe simply replacing the unit will resolve the issue. Given the issue specifcially relates to a software update pushed out by google. By simply providing a replacement device will only mean when I go to set it up and it downloads the latest update I will be back to square one. 

What I have asked is for them to supply the replacement unit in advance and if it resolves the issue I will send the "faulty" one back. If it doesn't then I will send the replacement unit back. 

I suspect that I will not hear back from them at all as this seems to be their standard practice. 

I'll let you know. 

Wrybread
Community Member

If Google will let me return the defective Chromecast, personally I'd love to do that. The $60 will be handy towards the price of an Nvidia Shield.

Or just fix this ridiculous bug already! It's been months!

Chook71
Community Member

Agree. Unfortunately, at this stage there is no talk of them refunding me only swapping the unit over which I personally believe will be a complete and utter waste of time. 

The bug is clearly software-related from an update forced on customers. Would be much easier if the would just fix the issue. 

Chook71
Community Member

Well surprise surprise, Just got the standard reply from support:

I'm sorry for the late reply since we're getting a higher volume of cases than usual. We're currently checking this with our team and get back to you for an update. I'll keep you posted.

For your reference your case number is 5-8757000034697. If you need more help, you can contact us again and reference this case number or reply to this email to reopen your case.

So once again they have just closed the case with no response and no fix.