cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How to connect chromecast to a new router?

IDRick2
Community Member

We have four PC's and two TVs connected to my home network.  Right the network is Google Wifi and the app is Google home.  I have one access point and a router.  We are switching to an ISP with fiber and will replace the google wifi and a new single router.

The PC's are simple.  Search for new network, select, enter password, done!

Not sure how to handle the chromecast conversion.

1) remove the existing home from google home

2) reset chromecast (1 is Gen 2 or 3 and other is chomecast + google tv) to factory setting

3) set-up new home by adding each chromecast 

using the same SSID and PW as used with the PC's

Is this anywhere close?  It's gotta go first time  with carefully planned steps.  If not, the Mrs with kill me...

1 Recommended Answer

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Cleanest possible route is version 2.  You remove the Chromecast from Google home first, then you can remove your Google wifi from the home. Then setup new Linksys wifi, make sure your phone is connected to new Linksys wifi,  go back to google home , and add Chromecast from there.  

View Recommended Answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You hit the nail on the head yes , you will remove and factory reset the Chromecast, setup the new WiFi , and resetup.  Luckily factory resetting a Chromecast is fairly fast and painless.  Best of luck! 

IDRick2
Community Member

Great, you made my day!  Just a quick clarification, I read your comment "setup new wifi" as have two possible meanings. 

Version 1, set up Linksys router and setup chromecast with no use of google home app. 

Version 2, set up linksys router, delete existing "home" and create a new "home" on Google home app, then add new device (chromecast) &  resetup 

Which version is correct?  (sorry for having to ask, I'm a basic user, set it up and ran for years)

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Cleanest possible route is version 2.  You remove the Chromecast from Google home first, then you can remove your Google wifi from the home. Then setup new Linksys wifi, make sure your phone is connected to new Linksys wifi,  go back to google home , and add Chromecast from there.  

Very helpful.  I have a few follow-up questions.  The new Fiber ISP will be setup Monday and will have a unique SSID and PW.  I will be able to verify functionality with my computers throughout the home without disturbing TV viewing.  I will then tackle the two Chromecasts separately.

I'm very basic cell phone and google home (GH) user.  Will you please review planned work flow based on your latest message.

1.  Open GH on my cell

2.  Go to settings,  Open each tv and select remove device (chromecast) and unplug

3. In settings, go to office router  No menu option to remove router???

4. Unplug google wifi from cable modem and power supply

5) Turn on Linksys router and connect cell phone to new network

6) return to GH, setup Linksys HOW ?  SSID & PW are in home network settings but will be gone since I removed the router in step 3???

7) Plug in chromecast and go through setup for each one

Sorry, as 69 yr old senior, I need cookbook directions...

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No worries, so your workflow seems right so far, a few notes: 

For the Nest Wifi router (step 3) , you should be able to click the router in google home, then click the setting cog wheel in the top left, and the very bottom of that page will say "Factory Reset Wifi Point" , that will remove it from the network.  If you have more than one Wifi point in your house, from your Home screen in the Google home app you can click Wifi, then Network Settings, and again the very bottom will show "factory reset entire network". 

For the new network, if they have provided you with the new SSID and password, then you will not need to add it to the Google home app, as long as your phone is connected to that new network.  You will plug in the Chromecast and go through the setup process, it will ask you to select the SSID of the new network, and enter the password there.  

You are doing great, do not worry, and feel free to send a note if you run into any complications!