cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is the NPO Start app supported on Chromecast with Google TV?

florismk
Community Member

Casting various streaming services from my phone to the Chromecast dongling from my ancient smart TV is driving me crazy. The tv supports Netflix and Amazon, and some others, but not Disney, or the Dutch NPO Start public tv streaming service. I'd much prefer a single solution for all my streaming services, so I'm looking at Chromecast with Google TV. I can find out that most streamers I'm interested in are available on Google TV, but can't figure it out for the NPO Start app. It is available in the Play Store, of course. Is there a way to determine whether an app in the Play Store is available on Google TV? 

More generally, my understanding is that the apps are installed on the Chromecast device, and then controlled from the remote. I'm also reading, though, that a phone app is required. Is that right? I'm looking to get rid of casting-from-my-phone...

1 Recommended Answer

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

It appears that NPO Start IS compatible with Chromecast with Google TV devices and will install on them as a native app.  At least, when I ask to install it it says it will go to my Chromecast (it won't work with my Chromebook computer though, oddly).

Yes, Chromecast with Google TV devices can install and run apps unlike older Chromecast devices.  You then use the remote to control everything and don't need a phone or tablet.   However, you WILL need a compatible phone or tablet to run the Google Home app at least to do the initial setup steps so make sure you have one available.

You can ALSO use apps on your phone or tablet and cast to your Chromecast.  I have to do that for two services who's apps are not able to be installed on the Chromecast (the developers have not updated them for the new interface requirements).  But, they work perfectly well in the "classic" casting way.

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

It appears that NPO Start IS compatible with Chromecast with Google TV devices and will install on them as a native app.  At least, when I ask to install it it says it will go to my Chromecast (it won't work with my Chromebook computer though, oddly).

Yes, Chromecast with Google TV devices can install and run apps unlike older Chromecast devices.  You then use the remote to control everything and don't need a phone or tablet.   However, you WILL need a compatible phone or tablet to run the Google Home app at least to do the initial setup steps so make sure you have one available.

You can ALSO use apps on your phone or tablet and cast to your Chromecast.  I have to do that for two services who's apps are not able to be installed on the Chromecast (the developers have not updated them for the new interface requirements).  But, they work perfectly well in the "classic" casting way.

florismk
Community Member

Thanks @Byteguy for going to that trouble. I know enough, CCwGT ordered and on its way!