cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video stuttering while using correct framerate

Boeboey
Community Member

Hi,

Since an update several months ago my chromecast google TV is stuttering when playing video. First I thought I selected an incorrect framerate. But even when changing this parameter, the stuttering remained.

I found on a forum that disabling the HW overlay would solve the problem ... and YES, it did. But I have to remember, everytime I restart my chromecast, I have to disable this again.

2 questions:

• Is there going to be a solution in an next firmware update to solve this issue?
  • Is there I way to keep this parameter disabled after a restart?

Thanks for the advice.

1 Recommended Answer

MagicAndre1981
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

How do you play the videos? How do you connect the Chromecast (Wifi 2.4/5Ghz or LAN)?

For me it looks like XY problem, so lets the real issue.

I see people asking this for 10 years and I think there will never be a permanent storeage of this setting as it hurts performance according to google:

Disable HW overlays: Disables the hardware overlay. Note that using the hardware overlay lets apps that display something on the screen use less processing power. Without the overlay, apps share the video memory and have to constantly check for collision and clipping to render a proper image. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MagicAndre1981
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

How do you play the videos? How do you connect the Chromecast (Wifi 2.4/5Ghz or LAN)?

For me it looks like XY problem, so lets the real issue.

I see people asking this for 10 years and I think there will never be a permanent storeage of this setting as it hurts performance according to google:

Disable HW overlays: Disables the hardware overlay. Note that using the hardware overlay lets apps that display something on the screen use less processing power. Without the overlay, apps share the video memory and have to constantly check for collision and clipping to render a proper image. 

Esquivel88
Community Member

This bug has been happening for 3 months since the Google security patch update. There are simply frame losses. The only way to fix it is by activating HW overlay. But you keep trying to make fools of us with stupid questions like: which WiFi network are you using? Just fix the **bleep** error instead of trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

galager
Community Member

Exacto ya estamos hartos de respuestas estúpidas. Solucionen el problema. Hoy otra actualización y el problema continúa. Increíble!

Oomek
Community Member

When this bug is going to be fixed? It's driving me mad.

exim82
Community Member

They still didnt fix it in the latest update, eventhough its reportet. You have to enable "Disable HW overlays" in developer settings. And for HDR set to "low latency" mode in the dolby Vision settings. After every reboot... Very annoying they dont fix. A lots of reports in reddit.

galager
Community Member

Acabo de actualizar y sigue la perdida de fotogramas. Esto pasaría con apple? Deberían de prohibir la venta de productos defectuosos como este.  Aquí no hay nadie al otro lado?