cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

chromecast does not turn on

KathyVichta
Community Member

I bought a chromecast last Xmas and have hardly used it, but it did seem to work successfully long ago. Now I tried plugging it in last night but it doesn't turn on. It is plugged in properly to the HDMI on the smart tv and to the power. I think there should be a light on the device but there is none. The tv recognises that something is plugged in to the HDMI port but says there is no signal. what should I do to get it working. I've tried both of our wifi networks.

1 Recommended Answer

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

There should be a light on your Chromecast whenever it is plugged in (even if it is not attached to a TV).

Make sure you have it plugged into a wall outlet.  Do not use any USB ports on your TV; they often don't have enough power.

Check the power-block and the cable.  Either plug a different device into them or use another set with your Chromecast.

Unfortunately, if your power-block and cable are working and you still don't get a light then your Chromecast has failed and all you can do is replace it.   If you got it last Christmas, it may still be under warranty.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9901095

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Byteguy
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

There should be a light on your Chromecast whenever it is plugged in (even if it is not attached to a TV).

Make sure you have it plugged into a wall outlet.  Do not use any USB ports on your TV; they often don't have enough power.

Check the power-block and the cable.  Either plug a different device into them or use another set with your Chromecast.

Unfortunately, if your power-block and cable are working and you still don't get a light then your Chromecast has failed and all you can do is replace it.   If you got it last Christmas, it may still be under warranty.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9901095

Thanks for this. Fortunately the device was 11months into a 12 month warranty and the Good Guys have replaced it. A good result. So glad I reached out.