Ever since I switched to a mesh internet setup my Google Assistant can't seem to reach WeMo. If I resubmit the request up to three times it will finally do what it's supposed to do. Anyone else experiencing this issue?
Since last week, I have spent over 40 hours trying to get my speakers to reach wemo. I have factory reset every device in the house including the modem. I have linked and unlinked wemo and Google home a dozen times. I still get "sorry, I can't reach wemo" . I have read several other complaints about this also. So, I am not the only one with the problem.
Some are saying it started around the last 2 weeks in October when wemo issued an update. Google needs to Check the update and see if the compatibility with Google is working correctly.
Sorry to hear about the frustrations that you're having with the Google Assistant, I'm happy to help.
I would suggest visiting our Google Assistant Forum and writing to them there as this is a question that they would be able to help answer.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Just wanted to jump in here to check to make sure that you saw our response. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns as I will be locking this in 24 hours.
Have a great day.
It looks like we haven't heard back from the OP so I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to create a new thread.
Have a great day,