cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My GE cync bulbs constantly stop working

Irwinad
Community Member

There have been a bunch of forum posts that all get closed on this, but my GE Cync bulbs constantly disconnect from the Home app. I have done all the troubleshooting, talked with customer service both from Google and GE, done the factory resets, bought new bulbs, uninstall the app and start over entirely, use the GE app, everything. They'll just stop responding (usually when trying to turn the lights off before going to bed). My Nest display will make the chime noise, then nothing happens and the display shows the light going back to 100%. The Home app on my phone shows errors connecting, but there are not bug filing links in the app. When I factory reset the bulb and add again, if it reconnects, it still doesn't work. These were the bulbs Google customer service suggested after I tried the Philips Hue first and they never stayed connected. I've tried switches too and those are hit or miss as well.

Why on earth do these expensive bulbs constantly disconnect. What bulbs should I actually be using? Or is Nest just a bad system? 

3 REPLIES 3

Irwinad
Community Member

Also, when creating a post here, there are no product labels for this very common use case, and with all the forum posts on this topic that get closed without any solutions, I truly think that's by design.

narioasda
Community Member

It's frustrating to experience connectivity issues with smart home devices, especially when you have gone through all the troubleshooting steps and contacted customer service for help. Here are a few suggestions that may help you resolve the disconnection issues with your GE Cync bulbs:

1. Check your Wi-Fi network: The first step is to ensure that your Wi-Fi network is stable and strong enough to support your smart home devices. You can try moving your router closer to the devices or installing Wi-Fi range extenders if needed.

2. Update your firmware: Ensure that both your smart home device and your Nest display are running on the latest firmware version. This can sometimes resolve connectivity issues.

3. Separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands: If you have a dual-band router, make sure that your smart home devices are connected to the 2.4GHz band, as this band has a longer range and is better for smart home devices.

4. Reduce interference: If there are other wireless devices in your home that could be causing interference, try moving them away from your smart home devices.

5. Consider using a smart home hub: Smart home hubs such as Samsung SmartThings or Wink can help bridge the gap between different smart home devices and ensure that they all work seamlessly together.

6. Try different bulbs: If all else fails, you may want to consider trying a different brand of smart bulbs to see if they work better with your Nest display and Home app.

It's important to note that Nest is not a bad system, and in fact, it is known for its compatibility with a wide range of smart home devices. However, it's possible that the specific combination of your GE Cync bulbs and Nest display may be causing issues. Keep in mind that smart home technology is still evolving, and there may be some trial and error involved in finding the best setup for your specific needs.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately a lot of these support offered up as troubleshooting options in the past. I followed their suggestions going as far as buying the Nest wifi mesh devices just to make absolutely sure that my wifi network couldn't possibly be the issue (my apartment isn't even that large).

I've tried both major smart bulb brands, Philips and GE, and it seems really unreasonably that neither of those would work well for an unknown reason. If Nest doesn't work with what I assume is the most major use case, why should it be on the customer to blindly guess and check all other brands on the market?