cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script code to receive a response from the nearest Google Home device

Peter_O
Community Member

Hi,

When using the starter assistant.event.OkGoogle in Script Editor, is it possible to get an affirmative response (e.g. 'Ok, turning off the lights') from the device that picks up the voice command?  

Thx, Peter

4 REPLIES 4

asdd
Community Member

As of my last update in September 2021, there was no official API or direct way to directly interact with Google Home devices from external scripts. Google Home devices are designed to work with voice commands and smart home integrations, but they don't have a public API that allows direct communication from external applications.

To interact with Google Home devices, you would typically use voice commands via Google Assistant, or you can use smart home platforms like Google Home-compatible smart devices that can be controlled through the Google Home app or via voice commands.

It's essential to note that technology and APIs are continually evolving, and new developments may have occurred since my last update. I recommend checking the official Google Developers website or related developer forums for the latest information on Google Home device integrations and APIs

As of my last update in September 2021, there was no official API or direct way to directly interact with Google Home devices from external scripts. Google Home devices are designed to work with voice commands and smart home integrations, but they don't have a public API that allows direct communication from external applications.

To interact with Google Home devices, you would typically use voice commands via Google Assistant, or you can use smart home platforms like Google Home-compatible smart devices that can be controlled through the Google Home app or via voice commands.

It's essential to note that technology and APIs are continually evolving, and new developments may have occurred since my last update. I recommend checking the official Google Developers website or related developer forums for the latest information on Google Home device integrations and APIs.

Regenerate response

It's essential to note that technology and APIs are continually evolving, and new developments may have occurred since my last update. I recommend checking the official Google Developers website or related developer forums for the latest information on Google Home device integrations and APIs.

Regenerate response

Regenerate response

Regenerate response

Peter_O
Community Member

You can get any specific Google Home device to give a repsonse by using the assistant.command.Broadcast - but I don't want to have to  specify the device. I just want the device in the room I happen to be in, be the device to respond.

I'd like to have the same ability, to let the device in the script be the one that is spoken to by the user. Did you ever find a way to do this? Thanks

No solution found as of yet, issue remains open, unfortunately.