cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s the most frequently used query in your smart home?

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

From “Hey Google, turn on the lights” to “Ok Google, lock the front door” there are so many fun and helpful queries you can ask Google Assistant. You can play music, turn on your favorite shows, create shopping lists and even more to control your smart home. 

So, which queries do you use most around your house? 

Let us know your top 3 in the comments below. You might even find a new one to try!

17 REPLIES 17

Automate
Community Member

Mine is "OK Google goodnight" and it turns off all the lights in the house, locks the doors, turns off the fireplace in winter, sets the thermostat, closes all the blinds if they aren't already closed, turns on the bedside lights and adjusts brightness and colour and then tells them to sleep so they gradually go off, tells us tomorrow's weather, and then plays calm noises until we are asleep... wish it could brush our teeth and tuck us in too!

Linluvsbirda
Community Member

I love that my car has android auto now so I can tell it to broadcast to my daughters hub to pick up her phone that is always on silent.  I love confusing people when I say Hey Google turn sink on.  (Light above the sink is called sink)

Jing008
Community Member

Thanks 🙏

sQualie
Community Member

Mine was "turn off the kitchen and turn on the bedroom" but it's no longer accepting AND or THEN so I have to tell it separately.  Super annoying. Is there a fix for this or should I just look into switching systems?

Don't expect them to fix anything.  Expect things to get worse.  Mine have, despite talking to Google on the phone, resetting my devices a few times, and the "community manager" claiming there is a fix (resetting the device.  There are many of us with the same issues and it works for a day or two, then comes back with a vengeance.  

letrongtanbs
Community Member

Mine was "Ok Google! Play my favorite playlist!"

S3bryan
Community Member

Using my nest products before Google turned them into chromecrap!  Total loss of product support.  You can see google doesn’t care by their lack of even mentioning the products in their “Coming in hot” blog posts.  You bought the product line, try supporting it.  Google coming in cold again!

Yes!!!  Wish I could give you thousands of kudos!  They send you to this unhelpful community instead where nothing is solved, we just talk to each other about the problems and Google doesn't check it out.  It's like a great big online group therapy session, and it solves nothing.

Rich1914
Community Member

Turn my lights on/off

Koimaster
Community Member

I have a few 

From a good morning routine

To lights on/off

But also often using turn ventilators on and watering the garden.

MustafaCanpolat
Community Member

Turn my lights on/off and spesific routine my radio of course homeassistant

eighty666
Community Member

i love the "send feedback" game where you report a well documented issue 6,000 times and she tells you it helps it get better. hilarious fun for all the family. best free game ever

Tell her she's stupid and she'll tell you she's doing her best or learning more every day.  She's not though.  For a smart device, she's awfully stupid.  I'm disabled and sometimes have difficulty with getting around.  Still, on the time it takes her to respond correctly and turn off the light in the other room, I could power down my chair, pick up my cane, slowly walk into the other room, turn off the light, come back out, and power my chair back up again.  By that time my living room hub would still be arguing with my bedroom nest about whether the lamp is even connected.  🤦🤦

True! The response rate can be extremely bad.

farsanafarzii33
Community Member

Sorry for everything

GodsRaven
Community Member

Unfortunately, I don't trust Google with anything that is security related, since Google Home is very insecure and will answer to any voice, even though I've set it not to do so.

It won't even act right with the lights.  It doesn't do music or podcasts correctly, often answers when it shouldn't (no command given), doesn't answer when it should, and forget about setting an alarm cuz you'll probably be late for where you're going.  

The only thing I use it for now is turning on or off lights if I'm not in a hurry.  Otherwise, it's a very expensive paperweight.

chipmastter
Community Member

Hey Google turn on office ..... And 

Hey Google turn on bedside lamp ..... And 

Hey Google turn off all lights