cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

At home but Nest went to Eco Mode instead of remaining on heat

patchelect
Community Member

I've had my Nest for several years with no problems. However the other day I was sitting in my living room and noticed a chill in the air. I randomly checked m Nest App and found it was on "Eco" instead of "heat" mode. I bumped things around a bit and it shifted back to "heat". I had been home and I had been using my phone periodically prior to that. I've had this happen in the past although I can't see a pattern as yet. My phone in an iPhone X and I am up to date with the iOS.

I don't think it matters but I have a heat pump. i've had no issues with the stat except for this one. And my wifi has not been giving me problems either. Home/Away assist is on.

11 REPLIES 11

DrSmith
Community Member

I have the same problem & experience. The system keeps going down to 15C, and won't heat above it. We turn the Thermostat up to 20C and sometimes (not always) the readiators get luke warm for a short time and switch off. I don't think we have got to 20C yet and we all wear fleeces around the house/sit in the room under blankets.  I tried to turn off the ECO mode - but it defaults randomly.  I have switched off Auto-schedule to see if this was the cause.  I cleared the calendar and have also tried a reset of the thermostat. If I switch the Heat Link to override the radiators warm up to very hot quickly implying that the system is working. SPOKE TOO SOON. 40 minutes later and I am feeling cold. The temperature has dropped back to 15C and the heatlink over-ride has switched off. The Energy History shows no usage from 3rd to 10th December!!!

Any ideas?

jjsheri
Community Member

I'm having the same issue or very similar. Thermostat showing 20 and orange yet the house is cold. Have to turn the power of and on to the link and then everything kicks in, rads get hot and house warms up..... for about 30 mins and then back to square one. I can find anything on Nest help page either.

Anyone got any help???

jjsheri
Community Member

Update!!  

my heating controller was set to Auto. I’ve put it to Manual and ON. Everything working fine now once again

folks check your settings on the original heating system controller to make sure it is permanently switched on 

ChristieY
Community Member

I have similar issue - but I found that this might be linked to your Home/Away Assist setting. The phone detected that you are away, then it automatically switches to Away mode, which linked to drop the target to Eco temp. 

The way it detects where you are include tracking your location (so that you need to give Nest app the authority to track you even when you are not using the app), or based on the activities detectors such as those in the Gas Alarm if you use one or your manual operations on the Nest Thermostats.

My Home/Away is ON. I have no other devices except the Nest. I use an iPhoneX that is up to date. I am not a distance from the Stat nor is there anything that might be altering/blocking the signals between the stat and the phone. And the day in question I hadn't even left the premises. 

DrSmith
Community Member

Turned off the Home/away function.

Removed and reset all calendar options.

Reduced Eco setting to 9C

All as per support recomendations.

The temperature remains a constant 15C. I checked the boiler and is was off even though the system was showing heating. I then pressed the heatlink to over-ride. Good news that fired up the boiler (have also done this via the app) and radiators starting heating. The Nest hit 16C (target 20C) and then switched everything off.  I got up in the middle of the night to check the system. It is supposed ot drop to 10C overnight... Guess what - it was recording 15C and the radiators were luke warm so had been on.  The good news is that the NEST is maintaining a constand and equal temperature of 15C 24x7, the bad news is that this isn't what I am requesting. 

Will keep trying as its -5C outside...

patchelect
Community Member

Looks like a common problem but with no solution found.

Sad, since this appears to be a Google sponsored site, although I could be wrong.

Fortunately it's only an annoyance, not an operational one, at least not right now.

DrSmith
Community Member

SOLVED IT

Take your Nest and stick it in a cold room - like the garage or garden shed.

The NEST will now switch on the boiler and heat your home until it reaches 15C. I have had heating all day for the first time in a week and our lounge is now 18C.... THe NEST is recording 15C....

Of course this isn't realy a viable option - but until GOGGLE come up with a working solution or we all give up and but a competitive product its the only way I can find to heat my house....

patchelect
Community Member

I like your tongue in cheek response!

And if it makes everyone feel better, I'm in the colonies, so it isn't just the UK units that aren't behaving as designed.

jcassparker
Community Member

Did you solve this?  Having same issue and can't resolve

patchelect
Community Member

No, I have not solved it and it has continued as recently as yesterday. And the more assuring thing is to know that there are many of us and not a single input from anyone at Google. I owned a Nest long before they sold to Google and help was much easier to get. In that I am seriously disappointed.