cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Connect nest thermostat to google home app no code

JoEls
Community Member

I migrated from the nest app to google.  My thermostat got removed from the Google Home app.  i took the cover off and there isn’t a QR or other code.  Very frustrated since I migrated.  I wish i could undo it.  Getting real time  help is impossible.

6 REPLIES 6

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@JoEls 

When you say you "migrated from the nest app to google", do you mean you migrated your Nest Account to a Google Account?  If so, I don't understand how your Nest Learning Thermostat could have already been in the Google Home app.  Or did it disappear from the Google Home app AFTER you migrated?

Over the last year or so, many customers in this forum have reported that their Nest Learning Thermostat or Nest Thermostat E, which get installed in the Google Nest app, were not appearing automatically in the Google Home app, as they should. Many of them have had success with this workaround:

1) In the Google Nest app, create a new, temporary Google Nest "home/structure".

2) Go to that new, empty Google Nest "home/structure" in the Google Home app and delete it.

3) This apparently forces the 2 apps to sync, and the thermostat then appears in the Google Home app.

JoEls
Community Member

Is the Google nest app the same as the google home app?  I used to have it in the home app after I “migrated.”  I could access it in the original Nest App and the Google home App.  I removed the original Nest App and now I can’t restore that either!  I think I deleted it in error in the Google Home app after the migration.  Now when I try to connect the thermostat it want a QR code or other manual code.  I couldn’t find either when I removed the cover.  

@JoEls 

The Google Nest app and Google Home app are separate applications.  If you migrated your Nest Account to a Google Account, then you would have started logging onto the Google Nest app with the "Sign on with Google" option, using the Google Account to which you migrated.  If you then saw your thermostat in the Google Home app, that would be normal.  If you deleted the Google Nest app on your phone or tablet, you should be able to reinstall it and log back in with the same Google Account you were previously using.  No data is lost when you delete and reinstall the app.  (You cannot delete the Google Nest app from within the Google Home app; they are separate apps.)

We don't have a Nest thermostat, so I'm not familiar with what's involved in reinstalling it if turns out you inadvertently deleted it in one of the apps.

But you could try reinstalling the Google Nest app and see if that restores your access.  And if the thermostat appears in the reinstalled Google Nest app but NOT the Google Home app, you could try the workaround I shared above.

Good luck. It's not always easy having to deal with 2 apps.

Hello everyone,

I know it has been a while, but I wanted to ensure that everything was covered here. 

Thanks for looking into this, MplsCustomer. Big help!

@JoEls, I understand your frustration with the migration process and the difficulties you're experiencing with reconnecting your thermostat after switching from the Nest app to the Google Home app. It sounds like a challenging situation, and I'm here to help you navigate through it.

In addition to the discussion here, the Nest app and the Google Home app are not the same, although they do work together for managing various smart home devices. The Google Home app is more focused on controlling smart home devices, while the Nest app was specifically designed for managing Nest products. Have you tried contacting our support team? If you haven't yet, let us know so we can further help you out.

Best regards,
Mark

JoEls
Community Member

I need to speak to someone.  Online help is not working!  Since migrating   From the nest app to Google has been nothing but trouble.  I use Google for business (GMAIL) and Google for personal (mail0 through Chrome so have Google accounts .  Very frustrating.   I have loved the nest thermostat but you guys are making it very rough to use it.

@JoEls 

To contact Support:

1. Go to https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp.
2. Select a category/product family, and type in a brief description of the issue, then click "Next".
3. Click "Other", then click "Next step".
4. Under "Resources", just click "Next step". (Clicking one of the listed links will bring up a Help page page.)
5. Under "Contact options", choose to get a phone call or chat with the team, depending on availability in your country.