cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Incorrect temp reading on nest

Celine
Community Member

I just installed the nest thermostat and it says the inside temp is 77. This is off by at least 10 degrees. How do I re-calibrate it?

56 REPLIES 56

Any help with yours? Mine just started doing this... Shows 106° inside, and it's not! 

Nope.  Got frustrated and bought and ecobee.  Not looking back.  

Thanks for the reply... Can't seem to get ahold of Google.. Leaving later this am for 10 days, guess I'll just turn the it off. 

John1947
Community Member

I lost power to my Nest Thermostat. When power was restored everything is good except the room temperature reading is way high.  Like 25 degrees.  I unplugged it a couple of times and then reset it.  Still reading ridiculously high. 

cocolia
Community Member

Same problem here, it could be a firmware issue, mine started doing it after an update. So weird that no one at Google acknowledges such a widespread problem, or has the decency to answer any of these messages...

Rude they don't answer, or acknowledge! I got rid of mine, lucky it didn't burn my house down while I was on Vaca. Batteries WERE HOT when I removed them. Watch yours 

Intrepid
Community Member

Solution:  It's defective.  Replace it.   I recommend Ecobee or another brand.   If you want to keep Nest, call them for a warranty replacement.  Or buy another one on Amazon and return the broken one. 

I did replace it, wouldn't get another one of those, thats for certain!! 

I also gave up and replaced mine with a Honeywell. 
John

jpvanoosten
Community Member

It's really unfortunate that Google is not properly supporting this product.

After several months, my Nest thermostat is still off by +1°C. I had to wait at least a week (maybe longer..) before the Nest got that close to the actual room temperature.

I've come to accept this discrepancy and I've even started getting used to 19°C room temperatures (even now, I'm writing this in my house coat and warm slippers to stay warm - but this is by choice due to rising gas and electric prices in Europe!). But I really have to wonder if this thermostat is actually going to save me any money. I suppose I'll find out at the end of the year when I get my "end of year adjustment" bill.

I feel bad for those who are experiencing temperature discrepancies of ±10°(C/F?). I feel your disappointment.

sam237
Community Member

I didn't see anyone with my issue. The Nest app is showing me that it's "32° and clear" outside so it won't turn my AC on because it won't activate AC if it's under 60° outside. It's 75° inside and I have it set to 72°. I literally just took it out of the package and installed it. Technically it's 59° outside, so they're correct about it being under 60. But it's not 32. And they don't have any kind of sensor going outside. So they're getting this from some weather service connected to the web. For some other address that I haven't provided to them. I have no idea how to correct that. Maybe I can give them a Phoenix address just to get my AC going tonight?

JPoy
Community Member

Hi Celine! Where you able to find a solution for this?

John1947
Community Member

I never did. Was finally promised follow up by Nest after many weeks.  This never occurred.  Probably because I told them I replaced it with a Honeywell, which is working great. 

JPoy
Community Member

That’s a shame. I liked how Google Nest works. I’ll still ask my home warranty department to have it checked because it may not be a thermostat issue. If it is, maybe its time to switch

BillD1956
Community Member

Just installed my Nest thermostat.  Indoor temperature reading about 15 degrees too high.  Just saw all of the comments on this page, didn’t see any answers.  Has anyone been able to fix this issue?

John1947
Community Member

Bill, my solution was to replace the Nest with a Honeywell.  
after months of trying to get a helpful response from Google Nest, they finally said that my thermostat was out of warranty ( which I knew ) and that the 24 volt C wire adaptor I was using was probably the problem.  Incidentally I used the adaptor for over a year with no problems then installed another brand which didn’t help.  Also, the C wire adaptor is working fine with the Honeywell. 
This was probably the most frustrating customer service interaction I have ever encountered.   No more Nest for me. 
Sure hope you have better luck. 
John

BillD1956
Community Member

John, thanks for your comments.

I did receive a reply from Nest saying the 24v transformer was not compatible.  When I disconnected, the temperature returned to normal.  I am going to try the Nest power product.