cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Incorrect temp reading on nest

Celine
Community Member

I just installed the nest thermostat and it says the inside temp is 77. This is off by at least 10 degrees. How do I re-calibrate it?

56 REPLIES 56

Aakbari55
Community Member

Running into the same issue. Also seeing an influx of similar posts.

Celine
Community Member

Thanks for the reply but it did not help solve the problem. Is my Nest device defective?

I would also like a solution to this dilemma as I am having the same issue.

Last
Community Member

I’m having same issues. Nest shown 76, and 3 separate thermometers show 60. Nest shuts off at night and never turns on till morning. All learning modes are off, it’s running as a dumb thermostat now set to 72 but fails over night, every night and temp keeps showing off temps. 

Whitcombj
Community Member

I am running into the same issue. Did anyone find a way to resolve?

Lynknichols
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I see nest has not responded to our inquiries

Last
Community Member

I had to completely reset my nest, blow out all “auto” functions and set it at 71. It doesn’t learn now, it can’t go into away, but it works. 

Whitcombj
Community Member

To add insult to injury they have offered to mail me a replacement, a refurbished item........ they want to replace me <30 day old item with a used one......

I regret getting a nest thus far.

Risto
Community Member

Having the same issue on a new programmable model. Any resolution aside from reset and/or replace? Seems they have unresolved firmware issues.

MattyM
Community Member

Exact same issue here, I have 4 nest thermostats in one house, one in another.  All 5 thermostats not reading properly.  I'm loosing favor of this Nest Thermostat, perhaps time to move to another brand focused on problem solving.

Jotorobi
Community Member

I just started having this issue as well. Anyone get a solution yet? 

Risto
Community Member

Not yet. But fyi, to make matters worse, my E Thermostat was recently flagged and partially disabled by Google remotely, unbeknownst to me, code error citing the use of 3rd party power supply to provide the required 24v common connection in my 2 wire multi zone setup. Aside from room temperature reading being off, it was working perfectly for months as I could just compensate by the 10 or so degrees, just sacrificing leafs earned… whatever. Now it’s pretty much restricted to simple analog operations only, no network, no scheduling programmability, pretty much equivalent to my old mercury, with an LCD screen… even after master reset, just laughable. I am naively following their instruction, ordering their $25 common adapter, will attempt to resurrect it…  and will post another update on how it all goes.

Loi_Truong
Community Member

Incorrect temp reading on nest

please advise

marcferguson27
Community Member

I have the same issue. Why is NEST not replying to these theads!

TomJulie
Community Member

48 hour old Gen 3 learning and same issue...ambient room temp off by at least 10-15 degrees

DoctorNick
Community Member

Same issue as everyone here. When the furnace is running, it's usually fairly accurate after 20-30 minutes. But when I leave the house, it's close to 20F off. 20 degrees!!! That's outrageously bad. The first day it was installed, I rushed home because it was set to 56 while I was at work, and it was continuously reading warmer and warmer in the house. I as worried my furnace was stuck on. When I got home, it was reading 77F inside but it was really about 58. How did they mess this up so badly?

tgdaonetgdi
Community Member

Same issue. How to fix this issue?  Does google even care about their products?

They don't care. After talking with 7 people, they told me to disconnect my account, which ends up disconnecting wifi. They said they have a known problem where the wifi chip overheats, heating up the temperature sensor. That seems to be the case for me. How stupid is that? 

Shouldn't Shouldn't that be grounds for a recall?

You'd think so. After being told it's my wifi/router causing the problems many times, I ended up going to Walmart and buying a second one. The new one is working perfectly. I started a request with my credit card to get my money back, and google allowed me to send the first one back. It was a stupid process. 

LouisCyphre
Community Member

Even you old analog thermostat had a manual fine tune screw. Even if my nest worked perfectly the location it is in has a constant increase in temp. Let me explain, it is on the wall behind my TV and a lot of other electronic gear all generating small amounts of heat. Cumulatively they make that spot about 5 deg higher than the rest of the room (even with a ceiling fan moving air around), this has been confirmed by using several other thermometers. In the old days when you had a known stable heat variance (hot spot) in the room you would simply adjust a screw and tilt the mercury up or down until you were actuating at the correct room temp. There is no manual or digital adjustment that I have found on the Nest. I do not care how smart it is, the room is dumb. It has no way of knowing where the hot or cold spots are. So in my case the room is actually warmer on the Nest side, and cooler on the Alexa side (opposite sides) Anyway I do not think my Nest is broken I just need to calibrate it to this room.

Mine was off by about 15F with no heat source nearby. It was definitely bad and would rise about 2F per hour. 

Russvantine
Community Member

I am having the same problem.  Temperature display is incorrect by at least 10 degrees...... in my case the display is at least 10 degrees COLDER than the house actually is......  If I set the thermostat for the a/c to go ON at 65 degrees it is actually 75 degrees in the house......  so it cannot be from some part overheating in the NEST.  I disabled EVERYTHING and running in DUMB mode and it is still at least 10 degrees off!  No matter what I do it is at least 10 degrees off!!!!!  ANd that is for COOLING ..... I have no idea how bad it will be when the weather changes and I will have to HEAT the house.  I cannot run it in heat/cool mode.  I have to run it in dumb mode EITHER heat or COOL !!!!  WHat a waste of money!  My old dumb cheap OLD thermostat works better than this expensive piece of junk!  AND so far I have not been able to find anyone at NEST to contact for a replacement! Label me  DISGUSTED!!!!!

It sounds like you're having a very different problem. Quality control on these are very bad. Just return the one you got and get another one. I did that and it's fine now. Just go to Walmart and get it there. 

Russvantine
Community Member

i finally got someone at NEST   call 855-469-6378   there is a factory reset that is supposed to help the problem  you can also call 800-419-0157   i will keep you posted if the instructions they are sending me helps

I talked with them 12-15 times. I got a replacement one from Walmart and it worked perfectly. Hardware resets on the first one didn't fix the issue. Some of them seem to have a hardware fault that causes them to get warm. Even the voltage measurement was wildly wrong. It would read 12v and then 60v. The new one doesn't do that, so there's probably a voltage regulator or something that's overheating. 

Thank you! I couldn't find a phone # anywhere!!

Digitalbear
Community Member

I have the same issue - big difference between actual temperature and thermostat.

Kevin95219
Community Member

Same issue; 6 degrees F over true temp. I will try the reset option. I have done this once already to resolve a wifi and battery issue.

Neither system restart or restarting to factory settings improved the thermometer performance. I will call Nest.

Razor483
Community Member

Does anyone have similar problems with an unit that was working fine for years and suddenly started to show this problem? Ambient temp is approx 14deg F above the actual temp of the room and where the Nest read 48 hours ago. This is a years old Nest Gen 2 thermostat…

I would try to do a factory reset (or whatever it's called in the interface). It seems like these thermostats aren't very well designed, hardware or software wise.

ortho
Community Member

Yes, had my thermostat for about 10 years I think. Never had a problem. Today the displayed temperature suddenly jumped to 10 degrees higher than the actual temperature. Did a factory reset but did not change anything. Temporarily setting the scheduled temps to be 10 degrees higher.

Aldun
Community Member

I have that problem as well tried to reset disconnected for a few hours hooked up thought it was working the temp jumped 15 degrees after a few minutes seems to me someone sent out a bug lol

ProgPedsUC
Community Member

Same for me.  I bought and indoor outdoor clock and thermometer and mine is off by approximately 4 or 5 degrees.  I could get it being 1 or 2 degrees off but 5 degrees is a lot.  Constantly feeling cold when it was set to 70 and I would see that it was 65 on my other thermometer  🌡.   Have to set it for 75 to get the desired temperature in my apartment.   Silly really that they don't have a way to calibrate it! 

jpvanoosten
Community Member

Same here.. seems to be reading 23.5 C but clearly it's much colder in my living room. Really starting to regret this decision to get a Nest thermometer in my house...

yup, same. can't wait to move on from this piece of trash.

Arthurw
Community Member

My thermostat is suddenly off by ten degrees.  Google, give us a fix asap.  

Cheri1
Community Member

Temp reads into the hundreds.  No heat in house.  Stat cools when disconnected from wall