cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest will turn on at 'SAFETY' mode, but not any other time

severling
Community Member

Model: Display-3.4

Serial # 09AC01AC081705JC

Software: 6.2-22

I had turned the unit "off" for most of a day since a contractor was in the house with windows and doors open.  When I turned it back to "heat" mode, it turned on briefly (several minutes) and then went from orange to black to indicate that it was not heating.

I thought there might be a problem with the connection or the heating unit, but all night it continued to come on at 45 degrees at the "safety" temperature (and it turns orange when doing so).

I am remote and not sure what to tell my construction contractor to look for in order to fix.

8 REPLIES 8

MTB
Community Member

I’m having a similar problem. After reaching safety temp at night I have to manually reset the unit to get it to turn heat back on the next day. I’m using the nest in my garage to keep from going below freezing otherwise I usually turn on the heat when I know I will be in the shop. Defeats the purpose of having a wifi controllable thermostat if I can’t actually control it…

Sylvestw
Community Member

Having the same issues. When it hits safety temp turns on no problem but won’t heat above that no matter the setting. Thought it was because I didn’t have a C wire (read on forums that could be an issue even though Nest says you don’t need it) so added the C wire and still having this issue. 

Test4746
Community Member

starting this year i am now having this issue. they must have screwed up some buggy update. anybodg have a case open with google to investigate?

When safety kicks in it glitches and wont heat when set to heat mode. 

Test4746
Community Member

Got help from google. set safety temp off for heat and safety temp off for cold, keep thermostat in heat mode, dont turn on eco mode, resolved the issue with not heating after getting notification warning of reaching safety temps

Thank you! I am confirming this work-around does indeed work for others with this issue.  I turned off safety temp and the function of the heat returned. This has to be a bug/glitch in the software I hope Google fixes…I want to be  able to have safety temp on.

DaveNest
Community Member

I was wondering if this was some sort of update bug and it seems like it is.  I do not like having to leave my shop thermostat on at 50 (and not being able to use ECO or safety temp modes to achieve 45).  The extra 5 degrees is a big waste of heat when I'm not using the shop.

If you update the app and set a temp range for eco then you can use that instead.  You can set eco heat below 40 now. 

Edited reply.  
The  advice from Test 4746 now is working for me!  With safety temperatures set to off, the ECO function is working and most importantly when I change back to HEAT everything is fine. Thanks for posting.